General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Door Chime & Security Light - Starts OK

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door Chime & Security Light - Starts OK

I'm fixing a 98 Z28 for my son, just about done now after a new short block install and new exhaust. The issue I'm having is with the door chime and security light on the cluster. I'm NOT having starting issues, that's all good.

If the drivers door is open, the chime is ringing even with the keys in my pocket. You cannot lock the doors either. Once you shut the door, the power lock will lock. The security light stays on when the ignition is on.

Seems like it thinks the keys are in the switch to prevent you from locking them in the car. Know what I mean, when you hit the lock button, the chime gets faster.

The car has been tuned by a previous owner so I don't know if he turned off the VATS and forgot to turn off the light in the display.

Any ideas?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Well, it's the key switch causing the chime to ring and the door not to lock, got that fixed. Now if I can figure out the security light staying on.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:47 PM
Teching In

key switch was bad? Like the whole ignition cylinder? I recently replaced mine and have been having similar issues. Do NOT want to do that again.

Quick Reply: Door Chime & Security Light - Starts OK