Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

beware of summit roller rockers

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beware of summit roller rockers

put a set of roller rockers summit brand on my 6.0l instructions say they work with stock engine and valve covers. put them on didnt hear anything out of the ordinary. took car to drag strip made a couple passes oil pressure dropped so i trailered it home took valve covers off and tops of rocker arms hit the baffles on valve covers and put aluminum shavings in block, pulled engine and all bearings are toast. called summit and they said these rockers do not work with stock valve covers even tho their website and instructions say they do. they gave me a $25 gift card and are going to refund money when i send them back.
engine was a fresh rebuid so now i got to eat another engine build..sickening
Old 08-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Launching!

holy ****......sorry to hear about that, i'da been tempted to tell them to stick that gift card up their ***
Old 08-02-2012, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow you would think that you would hear some scraping on install. Did you rotate the engine over to check for clearence?

Do you have the link to the rockers?

I have noticed ALOT of Summit Racing's part descriptions are NOT accurate.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I bought a set of those before from the scratch and dent sale and after closer insPection decided that they sucked...sorry to hear that, sometimes summit can be some real ********
Old 08-02-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
Yea I bought a set of those before from the scratch and dent sale and after closer insPection decided that they sucked...sorry to hear that, sometimes summit can be some real ********
I wouldnt go so far to blame Summit Racing for the engine damage. We all know you need to check clearences etc during assembly. Nothing should be used right out of the box.

I agree Summit should accept a return for a full refund for their lack of adequate instructions, but its not their fault if you shell a motor by using their parts. The rockers didnt fail...The variables did. In addition most manufactures if not all sell race parts with no liability what so ever. No difference if a screw falls out on your new carb, or a valve spring breaks and drops a valve. Stuff happens....but in this case you didnt check for proper clearence.

I would also look into it, but I doubt...if this is a problem, you were not the first. Ask Summit what the return rate is for those rockers.

Maybe you could small claims court Summit Racing for a new engine....I bet you will find out they will say "improper install" is to blame.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Teching In

like many others i took their word for it seeing they sell thousands of parts a day even asked when buying if they hadany issues with the parts.. anyway took out #3 and #4 rod bearings and scarred the crank . court is a waste of time, just wanted to let everyone know so this doesnt happen to them.. didnt hear any noises or knocking but the car is open headers. now the decision is get another 6.0 crank or go with 427 stroker kit..decisions decisions
Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Summit's so-called tech support burned me years ago. Will I buy from them again? Yes. Will I trust them to tell me what's right? No!

Quick Reply: beware of summit roller rockers