Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tach LED ridiculousness

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tach LED ridiculousness

So here is my problem. I currently have a Autometer LED in my Monster tach. Sometimes it doesn't light, sometimes its dim, sometimes its bright.

I decided maybe it was the fault of the LED itself. I recently put in an order with superbrightleds, as I had used them in the past for two other orders. They told me in an email to order the 74 bulb, so I snagged the 74-BHP3, figuring it would light the tach better than the single LED bulb like the autometer. Doesn't matter which way I orient the bulb, it doesn't light?

Anyone on here using a LED in their Monster tach? As much as I would love to buy a Cobalt tach (I had one in 2002, in 2003 some ******* ripped it right out of my 83 Z28), I can't stomach spending $200+ when I have a working Sport Comp, that Autometer rebuilt only a year or two ago also. I had the lighting problem before sending the tach out and afterwards, I don't think its the tach itself.

So if you are using a LED in a 5" tach, what are you using? Anyway to test the LED bulb from superbright outside of the tach?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:45 PM
liqour enthusiest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought my led from autometer, havent had a problem and its been in there for 2 years.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmm mine has been kind of funky since the day I put it in. I'm almost thinking of going back to a regular bulb and just going over it with a blue sharpie.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That size 74 led u have fits in the socket that lights up the door handle, window switch area. U could test the led in there.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't think LT1's have lighting there? I also don't have power windows/locks though, so maybe that is why I don't remember any lighting there?

Quick Reply: Tach LED ridiculousness