General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help me bypass the IP dimmer control

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me bypass the IP dimmer control

okay guys. in my 99 TA my ip dimmer fuse keeps blowing the second i put the parking lights on. i know its the circuit board on the dimmer switch. i unplug the switch and fuse stays good. i have a custom toggle switch with red LED. i would love to replace the dimmer with. i dont care anything about having the lights dimmed. i always run them full current anyway. the switch i have is 3 prong +, -, and ground. but there are 4 wires going into the stock switch. 2 hot wires (olive color & brown), and also a black is -,and green is ground (i think). i can find about 4 different ways to hook up on my new switch that the LED on it illuminates and it makes the interior lights switch on. but i cannot for the life of me get any of the HVAC or gauge lights to come on. i know the bulbs are good. ive looked at them. PLZ HELP!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

im thinking i have to connect two of the wires before the switch right? ugh, im totally lost.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just replace the switch. Something like $20 at NAPA. I had the same problem, easy fix. The switch has built in resistance that stops the fuse from popping. I tried a switch but whenever I turned it on, fuse would pop again.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DisasterFormula
Just replace the switch. Something like $20 at NAPA. I had the same problem, easy fix. The switch has built in resistance that stops the fuse from popping. I tried a switch but whenever I turned it on, fuse would pop again.
the stock IP dimer will need the circuit board replaced. only place i know to get one of them is GM or a junk yard. and my fuse was poping with the stock switch. but not the case with the new toggle switch. but then again i doubt im wiring it correctly. and i will say when i turned the dimmer down on the stock switch, the fuse would NOT blow. but at the same time the lights were not on at all either.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Numba20
the stock IP dimer will need the circuit board replaced. only place i know to get one of them is GM or a junk yard. and my fuse was poping with the stock switch. but not the case with the new toggle switch. but then again i doubt im wiring it correctly. and i will say when i turned the dimmer down on the stock switch, the fuse would NOT blow. but at the same time the lights were not on at all either.
If you had a short on one of the dash light circuits, wouldn't the fuse also blow when you turn up the dimmer? The fact that your HVAC lights won't work also points to this being the issue.

If you turn the dimmer switch to full-on and then turn on the parking lights, do you also pop the fuse?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rockauto has the replacement switch for $42. Just looked it up. Honestly, it kinda looks like the same switch as what was on the LT1s.

Quick Reply: help me bypass the IP dimmer control