Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Weird random electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 04:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird random electrical issue

On my 98 WS6 A4 I drove it in some pretty heavy rain and water soaked roads on my way into work. One of those passing 20min downpours kind of things. Anyways the car drove fine into work and for the first 5 miles as I was leaving work. When I went to get on the highway(65mph) I decided to kick the car and go WOT onto the interstate. The car shifted and then bam I was greeted with a blinking air bag light, check gauges light, and my battery gauge was maxed.

It remained like this for 5-7 mins and then returned to normal for a bit and then went back. Sometimes the airbag light did not flash when the check gauges light was on and battery meter was maxed. Anytime I slowed down at a stop sign the battery would return to a normal level and jump back up along with flashing airbag light and check gauges light when I began to accelerate.

When I got home I turned the car off, let it sit for a bit and then fired it back up and everything was normal. I plan on getting it tested tomorrow but just curious what everyone may think. Is it the alternator?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:05 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Check all your grounds.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Ok so here is what I found. The battery was shot so I went had oriley's check it and they confirmed that it was shot. So I buy a new battery and put it in and it works and I leave the car running while I go pay. Well when I push the gas the same thing would happen the battery gauge would max and the check gauges light came on so the guy comes back out and checks the alternator and he says it passed and I explain to him it happens when I hit the gas well he has me rev it to 1500 and yup he says alternator is bad and overcharging the battery. He doesn't have one in stock but sends me to another store so I drive there and the whole time the car runs like it's supposed to arrive at said location and the guy load tests everything and everything is fine. So I drive home and still everything is fine. I have checked as many grounds as I could think of/see (is there a list somewhere of all the grounds this car has) and everything looks fine so yah not quite sure what to make of it.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

What was it?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike96z
What was it?
Sorry I didn't see the update. It was my alternator. Had it rebuilt and runs like a champ now
Old 04-05-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the update, it really puts people like me at ease when browsing threads to see issues people have with fixes for it.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by anotherreject04
Thanks for the update, it really puts people like me at ease when browsing threads to see issues people have with fixes for it.
Same here. I usually am pretty good about updating threads. This one just snuck by me.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:25 AM
Teching In

All of my instrument lights went crazy,did deep charge on battery & was ok about 2 weeks then crazy again & it was alternator.Got a new one online through Auto Parts Warehouse .The part.tax & shipping was $58 total.

Quick Reply: Weird random electrical issue