Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone know what this weird sound is?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know what this weird sound is?

Just finished installing my Junk yard 5.3 and when I give it a little fuel I here this "whistle" near the back of the engine. Anyone know what it is? There is a lot of smoke in the video but the car is tuned with the XER273 cam and this engine is just the stock cam. The smoke is just a lot of unburnt fuel or at least that is what it smells like. Before I moved on any further I need to find out what this "whistle" sound is.

Thanks'

Old 08-26-2012, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

possible exhaust leak? I put an egr blocker on my diesel and it didn't seal properly. It made a constant squeal/whistle.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
possible exhaust leak? I put an egr blocker on my diesel and it didn't seal properly. It made a constant squeal/whistle.
That makes sense. That side of the head had two exhaust bolts broke off and I could only get one out so I didn't worry about the other one but that is about where the sound is coming from. I can live with that. Just wanted to make sure nothing I should really worry about. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wicked69
That makes sense. That side of the head had two exhaust bolts broke off and I could only get one out so I didn't worry about the other one but that is about where the sound is coming from. I can live with that. Just wanted to make sure nothing I should really worry about. Thanks for the quick response.
That sucks. I fixed mine by reseating the blocker plate. That's not going to help your boost situation and will make tuning a nightmare I'm sure
Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
That sucks. I fixed mine by reseating the blocker plate. That's not going to help your boost situation and will make tuning a nightmare I'm sure
We'll see. I am going to put my other cam back in tomorrow and see if it runs the same. The problem was I used an easy out to fix it and the damn thing broke. I tried several new carbite bits and it wouldnt drill into the broken easy out. Sucks. We'll find out if it makes a difference. On the engine that blew I also had a broken bolt on one of those heads but it never squeeled and it ran fine. At some point I need to fix it but right now I just want to get it running again.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

I know what you mean. Post up if it's still doing the same thing.

Quick Reply: Anyone know what this weird sound is?