Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

top mounted superchargers vs front mount superchargers (prochargers)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Default top mounted superchargers vs front mount superchargers (prochargers)

before using google a minute ago, i thought that there were 3 types of boosted FI, turbos, superchargers, and prochargers. now i know that a procharger is a brand of supercharger. So i know that magnusons sit on top of the motor and replace the stock intake manifold. Now i know a guy who has a procharged mustang, so it is belt driven but not located on top of the motor. inested on the front almost like an alternator. So what is the difference between running a procharger and a maggie? just looking for some info
Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Floorman279
before using google a minute ago, i thought that there were 3 types of boosted FI, turbos, superchargers, and prochargers. now i know that a procharger is a brand of supercharger. So i know that magnusons sit on top of the motor and replace the stock intake manifold. Now i know a guy who has a procharged mustang, so it is belt driven but not located on top of the motor. inested on the front almost like an alternator. So what is the difference between running a procharger and a maggie? just looking for some info
A Maggie is a positive displacement pump. It works by cramming a fixed amount of air (per revolution) between it and the intake manifold below it. They TEND to be less efficient than a centrifugal blower (procharger etc) meaning that they heat the air beyond the theoretical heating caused purely by compression. They are more difficult to intercool and provide instant boost at any rpm.

A cetrifugal blower like a procharger is basically a belt driven turbo compressor. They are more efficient than a roots blower, but only reach maximum boost at redline. They are also "easier" to intercool since you can route the intake tubing to a front mount a/a intercooler instead of only being able to sandwich an a/w intercooler like with a roots blower (magnuson, tvs etc)

That's the gist of it at least. There is a lot of other information left out here.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Top mounted superchargers are usually roots type blowers. Front mounted superchargers are usually centrifugal type superchargers.

Google can explain the difference between the two better than I.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Maggie less power due to intake heat. Longer leverage on bearings livability is alot less. Now more in low rpm's less on big end

Also breaks down oil faster due running it thru whipple

Quick Reply: top mounted superchargers vs front mount superchargers (prochargers)