Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Which way to go? LQ4 heads for turbos.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which way to go? LQ4 heads for turbos.

I have been playing around with this idea for about a year. Before I get started I want to lay the ground work. The car is a mid-engine so I will need a rear mount set up. The engine is a LQ4. I already have truck manifold so I believe they will be a good choose for the twin turbo's. For starters I will rework the block, bore it and install a new set of forged flat top pistons, forged rods and crank, maybe a stroker. next comes the heads. I have a good set of 317's but have been tempted to by some 243's or aftermarket. I do not know what would be more durable. 317's with a higher boost or smaller chammber heads with less boost. I know that the tune will have alot to do with it but I don't want something that can be temper mental or picky. I want to enjoy my ride. Building it is half the fun, I want the have time to enjoy the other half. I would be interested in your opinions. Anybody?
Old 09-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the 317 heads. In my opinion you can cool down inlet temps you cant really cool down the combustion chambers due to higher compression plus you dont have to pull the timing back as much. With lower compression you can use shitty fuel as long as your not making boost which is handy if your in the middle of no where and all there is is shitty gas. The 243 head flows exact same but smaller combustion chambers, which is fine for n/a or smaller boosted engines like a 5.3 cause lower comp. in these engines would make them a dog on the street. With a 6 liter you still have plenty of torque with bigger displacement. Save your money and put it some where else like a meth kit then crank, the boost when needed lol.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the opinion. I live in the middle of no where but at least most stations have 91 or 92. On my race motors I used to use aviation fuel with an additive for lubrication.

Turbo's are not very common in my area. I can go to several car shows and not see one turbo motor. I might take mine to a few show but that is not what I'm building it for.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Also using lq4 with 317s but Im gonna do some porting good luck

Quick Reply: Which way to go? LQ4 heads for turbos.