Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else's HS rockers do this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone else's HS rockers do this?

I just got my set of Harland Sharp 1.7 rockers today. I'm in the process of installing them, but I ran into a little problem. I was tightening the first two down as per LS1howto's instructions, and then I noticed something. The rocker bolt head was tearing away at the edge of the rocker hole. There were a few pieces of the shavings I took off. I immediately started to untighten the one bolt I had tightened and took them off. After inspecting it, the bolt head seems to be too big for it to seat on the rocker hole.

I just inspected all of the rocker arms, and there are 6 that have this problem. And in some, the bolts won't even go through the hole, there is alot of friction, but maybe that just might be because they need some oil. What do you guys think I should do?
Old 04-07-2004, 01:32 AM
FormerVendor

They are a tight fit so you have no movement out of them. I have not had any that a little lube would not cure.

Nate
Old 04-07-2004, 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

I don't mind that they're a tight fit, but mine actually don't fit. The bolt head (from the bolts supplied with the rockers) is "shaving" off metal from the rim of the bolt hole. I actually pulled out a few shavings of aluminum (I'm assuming that's what the rockers are made of) from where the rocker and bolt head meet. This only applies to 6 of the rockers though. In other words, the diameter of the bolt head is greater than the diameter of the hole where it is supposed to seat.

I guess I'm the only one to experience this (lucky me, huh?). I'll give Bill a call tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:41 AM
TECH Resident

Odd... I agree on the tight fit though. When I first started installing mine, I thought for sure the bolts were too big..

Last edited by 98blackSS; 04-07-2004 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I did not have any problems at all. Bolts were close but did not hit.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Got the problem resolved. I called up Mike at Harland Sharp and he suggested I just file down the bolt heads a little. So I did just that. It worked great, I just put the bolt in a drill and got to work. They go in really nice now. I'll finish up the install later this afternoon after work. Thanks guys.