Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI and Motor Gurus step in please

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default FI and Motor Gurus step in please

So I have a built 347 for nitrous. But I want to go with a D1 or F1 setup on pump gas with meth and shoot for 700 at the wheels.

Here is my current motor set up. What would I have to change to make my nitrous motor handle boost?

Motor: 347 cu in LS1, Oliver Rods, Ross N20 pistons, stock race prepped LS1 crank. Comp custom grind N20 camshaft, Howards valve springs, Comp retainers, TrickFlow push rods, Harland prepped stock rockers. TEA StageIII CNC 5.3 cylinder heads,stainless valves, ported oil pump, 160* thermostat, ARP main studs, ARP head bolts, FAST 92/92, SFI underdriven pulley, MSD big wires, Hooker headers with x pipe dumped before the axle.

Just reading around I would think I would have to change the cam and heads since the motor is at 11.5:1 compression. Would I need to change the pistons too since they are N20 pistons and rings? Or would it work for the set up I am after?

Or am I just better off building another motor?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the compression, E85, and an F1X
Old 09-05-2012, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

Hey! The guy I bought my car from lol. You could switch to a 317 casting head and a thicker head gasket, that'll drop the compression a little bit. What are the cam specs?
N20 and higher boost motors are usually gapped somewhat similar on the rings, I would try to run that short block with a little lower compression. Do you have E-85 local?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
Hey! The guy I bought my car from lol. You could switch to a 317 casting head and a thicker head gasket, that'll drop the compression a little bit. What are the cam specs?
N20 and higher boost motors are usually gapped somewhat similar on the rings, I would try to run that short block with a little lower compression. Do you have E-85 local?
Damn. I just tried to look your info up about 2 months ago and I couldn't find it. I wanted to buy that car back. But I spend all my extra cash building my 5.0. I put a blower on it and built the rear and and a bunch of suspension crap.

I do have E85 local. It's pretty easy to find out here. The cam specs are close to a MS4 cause I am spinning that motor to 6,800 at the track. It runs high 9's on spray making about 550 to the tire. I am looking at making closer to 700 and running bottom 9's or 8's on boost.

I was thinking go with a Brute Speed blower cam and maybe different heads. I thought about a thicker head gasket but that would probably only bring me down to 11.3:1 or so.

Quick Reply: FI and Motor Gurus step in please