Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Few questions for turbo owners of LS cars:

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Few questions for turbo owners of LS cars:

I am running a forged low compression all aluminum LS2 402ci motor in my 98 Camaro, with a rear mount turbo.

Recently all was well as we were sorting out install issues. I had 3.90 gears in my car with a manual transmission...and then i swapped those gears out for a set of 3.42's....and now my engine hesitates and is dropping significant power when in boost with just the 5# spring in the wastegate.

1st gear is fine, i can accelerate and spin the tires and everything seems ok.
2nd-6th gear...when i'm in boost, the engine starts hesitating and on my gauge cluster on the left side...i can see a red light flickering rapidly but ever so faintly (i almost didn't even notice it) while the motor is hesitating.

All of this came about AFTER the gear swap...nothing else was done to my car.

Do you guys have any ideas on what could be going on?

I see Stangkila has a post similar to mine as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fstr n u
I am running a forged low compression all aluminum LS2 402ci motor in my 98 Camaro, with a rear mount turbo.

Recently all was well as we were sorting out install issues. I had 3.90 gears in my car with a manual transmission...and then i swapped those gears out for a set of 3.42's....and now my engine hesitates and is dropping significant power when in boost with just the 5# spring in the wastegate.

1st gear is fine, i can accelerate and spin the tires and everything seems ok.
2nd-6th gear...when i'm in boost, the engine starts hesitating and on my gauge cluster on the left side...i can see a red light flickering rapidly but ever so faintly (i almost didn't even notice it) while the motor is hesitating.

All of this came about AFTER the gear swap...nothing else was done to my car.

Do you guys have any ideas on what could be going on?

I see Stangkila has a post similar to mine as well.
Your car was likely tuned with the 3.90 gears, the tuner probably didnt hit a few spots on your VE table because the gears never allowed it to.. Now with higher gears you are putting more of a load on the engine and dipping into a different area on the table. Ive had to fine tune mine when swapping gears. Unless you log it you'll never know.
-Just my guess.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know the tuner and he is pretty on the ball with those type of things.... Even if that is the case, the flickering red light has nothing to do with the tune. Is it possible that some wiring is being pinched somewhere when the engine torques over? Would also be good to know what light is actually flickering.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if that light has something to do with your TCS, but on my 02 the light is orange. I've noticed on my 02 that the "check gauges" light is red and so is the seat belt indicator. You could have a short somewhere in the dash. You need to pull the tune and compare the file to your stock settings if you have the software. The hesitation could be anything. I'm going to take a stab and say to check your ignition and 02 sensors as well. If you blow out spark, you will get that hesitation like feel. Just some food for thought.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Turns out it was my coils that were misbehaving

My friend and local tuner has swapped in some new coils and all seems to be well. The car is running strong with just the 5# wastegate spring, but he has yet to install the MAP sensor and 2 bar tune.

I am looking forward to getting the car back over the next week or two and seeing what the car will do unimpeded by coil interference

I will post a vid once i have it in hand.

Quick Reply: Few questions for turbo owners of LS cars: