Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driveshaft Woes During S60 Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Driveshaft Woes During S60 Install

The rear is in (minus the swaybar and panhard bar) and the driveshaft does not fit. I ordered the S60 and PST driveshaft w/ Strange billet yoke from a vendor on here for a 2002 Camaro M6. Today I verified with them the length of my driveshaft (center at the U joints) to be correct at 40.25”. I was then told to take a measurement from the end of the tail shaft to the flat surface edge of the pinion yoke with the rear suspension loaded and came up with 42 9/16”. I have some chassis mods done to the front (UMI K-member and trans mount) and was told that could have shifted things back a bit. If the driveshaft was able to be put in place with the location of where the rearend is now the slip yoke would be tight in to the tranny with no room for travel.

I checked the distance from the center of the axle to the front and rear of the wheel well to make sure that the rear was not too far forward. It is actually set back about a 1/4" closer to the rear so I really cannot adjust it back any further.

I plan on calling Strange in the morning to ask some questions but wanted to post my situation here for input/suggestions.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by ssgunny; 09-12-2012 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Updated M6.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure how it could be that long. My driveshaft for s60 with T56 was 39 3/8 from center to center. The strange yoke is a real pos also, I forget the part #. But i had the 27 spline cromoly one and it fit the splines on the trans really bad. Made all kinds of noise and vibration. I ended up getting a Mark Williams yoke and driveshaft, which fit perfect. Now I have a 32 spline MW yoke which also fits perfect. Best of luck

Ryan
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Ryan. Through my search yesterday I could not find any info on the DS measurement for our application but I could have missed it. I would bet if my DS was 39 3/8" it would fit like a champ and give me the 3/4 to 1" I would need at the trans shaft.

My Strange slip yoke seem to fit fine once I moved the loop out of the way. I did notice the inside was keyed or had a "blind spline" as I heard the seller refer to it although there is nothing on the trans shaft that required this.

I will call Strange to go over some things and go from there.

John
Old 09-20-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wished I had measured mine before I sold it but does anyone have a measurement on the stock aluminum driveshaft for an LS1 M6 fbody? I am assuming they are all the same 1998-2002.

EDIT: I found a PM where I did measure it for a prospective buyer and it came to 41" center to center for anyone who needs to know.

After measuring the PST 3.5" aluminum drive shaft length I ended up going with was 39.50". This was with the Strange billet slip yoke.

Last edited by ssgunny; 11-13-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Woes During S60 Install