General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

replacing compressor, dryer, and orifice tube

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default replacing compressor, dryer, and orifice tube

I have noticed that my compressor has leaked the oil out of the seal. I have ordered a new delco compressor, dryer and orifice tube. Can I replace these parts myself and have the shop flush and fill? Or will the dealer have to install thee parts after the flush? My a/c was working great. Once I saw the oil I never turned on the a/c, defrost, or heater. So, I am not expecting metal shavings in the system but you never know.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its really up to you. If there's not tons of junk in the system (IE, metal, ooooold original oil, lots of leak detector or stop leak) you can skip the flush. If you want/need to flush. You can do the flush your self if you have compressed air. Most auto parts stores sell A/C flush in an aresol can. Blow the junk out with filtered compressed air. It's a bit of a PIA but is satisfying seeing all the crap that comes out. I personally don't trust shops with performing any service. Just my personal preference.

You must vacuum down the system after all the parts are in. ( I like to run the vac pump for 1hr, buts that's me) The system must hold at least 27hg of vacuum before you fill it with freon. Otherwise there's a good chance its going to leak. You also have to add oil for every part you change or flush. If you change just the air comp and dryer. You will only need to add a few Oz of oil. If you flush the condenser and evaporator. You'll need more oil. Any part that is change or flushed will require you to add more oil. Most air comps come prefilled with oil now. Make sure you read the instructions that come with it.

You can use this link to figure out how much oil your vehicle takes. http://napabeltshose.com/news/index....&show=newsitem

You may want to leave it to the shops to do the flush, vacuum and fill. Its all up to you. Good luck
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will have the shop do that work because I do not have any of the needed equipment. However, what parts will they need off to do the flush? I would like to install as many of the parts as possible to save on labor prior to having them do a flush.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff. They will need the evaporator and condenser open As well as the lines. But if there is no metal in the system you can usually skip the lines. Some shops have the fittings on their machines to connect to the different manufactures fittings. Others just use a tank filled with flush and a rubber tipped air blow gun that they press on the fittings. Either way, both the condenser and evaporator need to be open so they can flush through them. A/C compressor and dryer can be installed before or after the flush. Make sure you keep them sealed until its time to close and vacuum down the system.

IMO, call the shop you want to take it to and make sure they are ok with what you plan to do. Some shops can be a pain and refuse to do the work unless they do it all.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just replaced my compressor, dryer, and orfice. The A/C lasted 13 years and 250,035 miles before it crapped out. Got all at the parts (new AC Delco) from Rock Auto. $416 including shipping. Flushed the system and it blow ice cold now. It is a life threatening situation to be without A/C in Georgia in the summer time.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Just replaced my compressor, dryer, and orfice. The A/C lasted 13 years and 250,035 miles before it crapped out. Got all at the parts (new AC Delco) from Rock Auto. $416 including shipping. Flushed the system and it blow ice cold now. It is a life threatening situation to be without A/C in Georgia in the summer time.
The ordered the exact same items from rockauto as well. I agree, without A/C I don't even care to own the car!

Quick Reply: replacing compressor, dryer, and orifice tube