Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! clsd tune advice on turbo 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! clsd tune advice on turbo 5.3

I'm sending my PCM off for a base tune and have some questions. My tuner says he will program my PCM in a CLSD configuration, but he doesn't have any experience with turbo cars. I'm only looking for a base tune just to get it running and then get it on a dyno for proper tuning. I have a wideband o2 after the turbo, but am not too sure where to place the "front" o2s. This will be a daily driven truck and I'm not looking to take it to the track, just to blast up and down the highway and mess with people everynow and then.
It's a 49 Studebaker on an s10 chassis, 5.3/4l60e, 60 lb/hr injectors,2 bar MAP,walboro 255, chinese turbo,prosport evo wideband o2 gauge/sensor.

Here is what he sent me in an email. What do you guys think? Should I go this route just to get it started and running?

I’m not sure what is the norm on turbo setups and o2’s. On my setup I’ve changed the injector bank assignment in the PCM so all 8 injectors are on BANK 1, this way, all 8 injectors are pulsed together, and the PCM only uses signals from Bank 1 Sensor 1 oxygen sensor. Installing two sensors side by side in the same pipe will not work, and will results in very strange fuel trim behavior.

O2 sensor should be after the turbo I would think.

Again, this is just my understanding from reading, I still don’t have my own turbo setup going, but this is how I am proceeding. You might ask around on some message boards..
Old 09-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Tenured Member

Put the wideband no less than 6" away from the turbine and no more than 18" downstream. The O2's can can be installed offset from eachother just after the wideband.

Also, make sure the base tune is setup for open loop. If it is setup for closed loop and the tune isn't close the trims could be way off and cause it to go very lean or very rich with small throttle inputs. Basically it will run like crap trying to drive it around.

Hope this helps!

Tim
Old 09-20-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have my stock O2 sensors just past the manifolds with a wideband 12" after the turbo. Just as Tim stated, make sure they leave the tune in open loop. Is the tuner doing this programming the same tuner that will be completing the tune once its up and running?

Quick Reply: HELP!! clsd tune advice on turbo 5.3