Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My S60 is back on the road

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default My S60 is back on the road

Some of you may remember about 2 years ago my S60 came apart. It had about 20k miles on it and for unexplainable reasons I had a bearing failure in it that worked its way down the line, killing all of the other bearings. Since I wasn't in a position to do the work on it myself I had a local shop tackle it. They discovered that the adjuster threads on the inside of the housing were badly damaged and it wasn't repairable. So, Strange came up with a solution that basically turned the adjuster style rear into an old school shim adjustment rear end. This was accomplished by a set of custom spacers that bypassed the damaged threads.

A bunch of new bearings later and I'm back on the road. The truetrac wasn't damaged, thankfully. Now, it took FOREVER to get the car back from the mechanic (like over a year) because his business basically went under while all of this was going on, and he was diagnosed with MS and some other rare disease. Since this was a job that a normal shop would likely not have touched I was a little lenient, plus I just had too much going on in my life to worry about the car.

Anyway, my car is back on the road. I've had it back about 5 months now and I haven't driven it much at all. It's got the demons of a 150k mile machine on it now, and after all of the work done I need to replace a bad wheel bearing that my mechanic replaced just because it was disassembled.

I thought I owed it to Strange to say thanks for working with my mechanic and for coming up with a very unique solution. It appears to be holding together, but I haven't driven it much with the wheel bearing noise. To this day I still haven't ever taken it to the track. Maybe once my son is born and I start my new job in GA I'll have to get in to racing.

Thanks again Strange.

Quick Reply: My S60 is back on the road