General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

intake leak or fuel pump issue? help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake leak or fuel pump issue? help!

Having this issue for a while, 00 z28, seems to run ok jus normal driving but when I get after it it doesn't seem to run like it did when i got it, going from wot to half it has a weird dead spot, even if i jus go to half throttle it feels like it is struggling, if I let out and get back into it it picks back up better, its worse the warmer the temp. I've been trying to pinpoint this problem for a while. The car is stock except for ss hood and exhaust, no codes and new converters, previous owner had a programmer on it but said he removed it when i bought the car. This is driving me batty and want some advice befor I tear it apart and throw good money at bad fixes. Any advice or direction can help thanks!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:26 PM

Also have a scanner but not sure what to look for to determine vacume leaks or intake leak.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Mine felt like it was missing when getting on it and would back fire on hot idle... I checked everything, because it wasnt flipping a code. Turned out to be a cracked spark plug (the ceramic portion got banged while hanging my headers)

Also I thought I had a manifold leak too. So I took some starting fluid and sprayed it, while the car was running, near where the intake manifold meets the heads. If its leaking it would most likely suck in the ether and you'd hear the idle change.

cheers and good luck
Old 09-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the advice, I put plugs in it recently, the old ones looked good and I replace the fuel filter religiously, I only run 91 or 93 octane and have done throttle cleaning on it too, this problem is driving me crazy, I am planning a racetronix pump w a hotwire kit if I can't figure this out soon, jus have some other projects I would rather put the money towards if I can figure this out first.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Lots of threads like this that you can find with a search. You may just have a dirty MAF.

Quick Reply: intake leak or fuel pump issue? help!