General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stock Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Rear End

Ive had trouble with this rearend since Ive bought the car. Started doing some inspecting and noticed the stock torque arm bracket rubber was toast. When you put it in reverse it would clank. Then back in drive clank. Meaning the torque arm bar was shifting up and down. So I figured I would buy a UMI torque arm bar with a new urithane rubber and all my problems would be solved. I got that bad boy in, set the pinion angle @ 2 degrees. I had some help and it was no problem. I noticed a big difference. No clanking. Braking was better, and the nose of the car didnt drop as bad. Great! But Im still having issues.
Off the line it at WOT it feels like crap. Feels like the torqe arm bar is still moving. Like the rear end is twisting. I punched it the other day and it felt like it loaded up and BAM felt like a broked tranny mount when it hit, and finally caught grip. Its not the tranny mount. I checked throughly. Why is my rearend loading up and smacking the bottom of the car when it finally gets traction? Its a hard hit too. Wheel hop, loading, twisting. Only way I can expain it. Off that topic. The ring and Pinion is loud as hell. Cant even hear the radio! Just want to know what causes this. Its not going away
Old 09-26-2012, 02:58 AM
Teching In

Loud clank could be that the notorious bump stops are gone. There is a cheap fix for that.. Energy suspension makes a $20 set of bump stops for a jeep that fit f bodies also.

With all the noise and issues, it might be easier to just replace the rear end. The whining is probably ring and pinion gears worn or installed incorrectly. They should not make noise.

Would help if we knew year make model transmission and mileage info.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 AM
Staging Lane

2001 SS camaro. 152000. Auto 4L60. Yeah ring and pinion is definatly shot. Bump stops? Arent those at the back of the car? Next to the springs. It felt like it was right under the shifter. One big hard hit
Old 09-26-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since you're not the original owner and who knows what has happened to the car, i would just replace the transmission mount regardless especially at that mileage. I would also check the motor mounts. aside from those the other two things that often get replaced are the rear lower control arms (LCA) and panhard bar (PHB). I doubt the phb has anything to do with it but the lca's might so check those, and UMI, BMR, and others make replacements for those just like the torque arm.

Regarding the rear, welcome to the club. They are notorious for being weak and noisy. It will only get worse. Either have it rebuilt or drop in a complete aftermarket rear axle assembly.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

I think a complete new one sounds like a plan to me. The car is in excellent condition except for the rear. I got the car from a one owner @ 100K. It was straight and clean so I bought it. Crappy little 10 bolts. Guess a S60 with some LCAs will do the trick. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Stock Rear End