Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchable V4 Mode on a LQ4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switchable V4 Mode on a LQ4?

i've been driving my Dad's NBS Silverado all this week and it just now hit me... i put a LQ4/4L80e in my DD Chevelle! is it possible to get a switchable v4 mode in my swap vehicle? if so what would need to be done. i was thinking a 2 way switch would be nice.

when in position 1 then full time 8 cylinder mode, when in position two the pcm can decide to go into v4 mode if it has all the right parameters.

or a simple 4 cylinder / 8 cylinder switch (i can make a build a small micro controller for the setup if needed)

have any of you guys gone this route? i would really only use v4 on my late night commutes from school back to home (2 hours without traffic). go 65 and switch into v4 mode all the way home.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Teching In

I have actually been wondering the same thing for a few months . I would like to build my daughter a camaro for her first car , and would like to go LS for the power . Having said that , My wife is afraid I am going to be turning our daughter loose with too much power at the age of 16 . I was thinking more like having it locked into v4 when she is driving around town , and be able to unlock it whenever I want . Hopefully that would be good enough to keep my wife happy and when my daughter proves herself she can have it unlocked all the time .
Old 09-26-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

The LQ4 is a Gen III block which does not have provisions for displacement on demand / active fuel management. You might be able to do something like this with a Gen IV engine, but there is no "V4" mode for a Gen III.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

An L76 engine (G8 GT) might be closer to what you're looking for. It's a gen 4 with DOD. V8/V4 modes.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Teching In

OK , but can the system be hacked to allow a person to use it to limit the amount of power available , kinda like a limiter ? Also , it sounds like the cam is a very important part of the v8/v4 setup from what little I have read on them . Is it still possible to upgrade cam , lifters , and springs ?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spd500
OK , but can the system be hacked to allow a person to use it to limit the amount of power available , kinda like a limiter ? Also , it sounds like the cam is a very important part of the v8/v4 setup from what little I have read on them . Is it still possible to upgrade cam , lifters , and springs ?
You can set the speed limiter or rev limiter at whatever you like, assuming you have hptuners or efilive.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spd500
No the system really only works under very light loads and decell. Its easy to limit power via a tune anyway. So your not going to be able to drive around in V4 mode all the time the punch it and it swap it to V8 mode then bad to V4 it doesn't work that way. Its really a gimmik anyway for better MPG. And its such a small gain if any! 1-3% in the trucks. And it really depends on how you drive as well as if its pretty flat were you live.

The AFM limits the amount of lift of aftermarket cams. So you have to watch max lift. Its the AFM lifts and tray under the cover that really important. The cam is designed to work with those pieces.

Last edited by Bo185; 09-27-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I think you're better off putting a damper valve in the air intake to achieve what you're after.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why do that when one can simply set RPM limits and speed limits easy enough in the computer. Those can be set to what ever 60mph or even 80mph. Then leave the stock tune were it is for the most part or even make it more invasive.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya know, another approach might be to go with a turbo setup. Limit the boost to something like 3 pounds when the kids have the car, and dial it up high for "daddy" mode
Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

@spd500 you could always do a 4.8 for your daughter's car, then when she gets older and proves herself you can upgrade to something bigger.

Quick Reply: Switchable V4 Mode on a LQ4?