Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum and engine building

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum and engine building

Hello all. I bought a 96 SR 240sx about a month ago and would love to swap out for a good old American V8. For what ever reason I'm partial to the 4.8 engines. I think it would be great to have an engine that can scream to 7000+ rpm while pushing 15 - 20 lbs. of boost on the stock bottom end.

Now I've never been inside an engine before, done plenty of bolt-ons, so I'll need the help of some friends to get me up and running. I'm itching to get started acquiring parts and do my first real engine tear down.

My question is what exactly should I buy for say a LY2? I've read PRC double springs, a ZR1 cam, LS6 intake w/ rails and injectors, and f-body accessories. I plan on being NA for a while before adding a single turbo so I need the engine to run well both ways. Should I be looking at a LS6 cam instead of the blower ZR1 cam? Basically I'm asking you for a grocery list of what I need to put into a junkyard LY2 to meet current and future goals. This will be a daily driver and I don't plan on doing anything but driving it and maybe the occasional drag race. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Quick Reply: New to forum and engine building