Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Why does my car smell like gas when it is parked and AC is on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why does my car smell like gas when it is parked and AC is on?

This is driving me crazy! I drive a 2003 Holden Commodore v6. I recently had my fuel pump assembly changed and ever since then, the car would smell like gas whenever the AC is on and especially when it is parked while the engine is running and the AC is on. For obvious reasons, i figured something went wrong with the installation of the fuel pump assembly so i took it back to the mechanic and he checked to see if there were any leaks from the fuel pump by checking to see if the O-ring that seals the fuel assembly was leaking, then he traced the fuel lines to see if there was any leak, checked the injectors and the rails. Made sure the fuel lines were in the correct place like the return and so forth. And of course also checked the fuel cap. Found absolutely no leaks!

Before taking it to him, i also checked under the car to see if there was any leak but there was no leak nor gas smell under the car (from the tank, along the fuel lines to the engine) or the engine. The smell seems to be only inside the car. Took it to another mechanic and he also could not find anything.
Earlier while checking the engine again for any gas smell, i noticed one of the 3 fuel lines protruding into the engine cut off. I know one line in for return gas and i think one is for injectors but what is the 3rd one?? The return and the injectors lines are obviously intact but the 3rd mysterious one is cut. I have no idea how it was cut nor am i sure if that's whats causing the gas smell. I tried to smell the cut end while the engine was running but i could not smell any gas. I took it to the mechanic and after checking all around the engine and under the car, he could not figure out what that line was for because all the other lines seem to be fine. Therefore he didn't know where it was cut from.

So i guess i'm asking 2 questions...

1. Where is the gas smell coming from?
2. What is the 3rd line?

Here is a pic i took of the mysterious fuel line. Its the last one from the top (the darker black one). I plugged the end of it just in case. http://i.minus.com/idysjWTA7u6X2.jpg
Old 09-28-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your fuel pressure regulator. my Monte Carlo had the same exact problem. I took it to 5 different dealerships and no one could find a leak but you could smell it good. I did a little research online and decided to just get the regulator fixed and when they pulled it, they noticed a pinhole in it. Hope this helps....
Old 09-29-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Car equipped with a charcoal canister? If so,could be that the line that's cut, is supposed to be hooked to the canister. [Serves as the tank vent]
If this is the case, the open vent is putting fumes in the engine compartment, and the ac air intake is pulling them into the pass compartment.
What's the fuel psi?

Quick Reply: Why does my car smell like gas when it is parked and AC is on?