Insurance Question (Auto, I was hit)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Insurance Question (Auto, I was hit)

I was having my vehicle transported and while trying to load my vehicle on to the trailer, the truck driver backed his trailer into my rear bumper, which obviously damaged my rear bumper. Progressive Insurance is the carrier's (not the broker's) insurer. Progressive came out and took their pictures, blah blah blah. I get a call from the Progressive informing me of the amount that I am owed. They also told me that because the carrier's deductible is $1,000 and the amount that I am owed is under $1,000, the matter is now between the carrier and myself, Progressive walks away from this situation.

So i call the carrier who hit my vehicle and of course the driver is not telling the truth about what happened. Then I tell him the amount that progressive says I am owed and he tells he can get a whole car painted for that much, which gives me the feeling that the dude is either not going to pay at all, or really lowball me.

My question is, is this standard operating procedure or am I about to get worked over? Because I feel like I am about to get worked over. Shouldn't progressive pay me then get their money from the carrier? FWIW, I have state farm and my vehicle is not on my auto policy becuase it has not been drivable in more than 2 years.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I think I should see what my transport broker (not insurance broker) can do for me.

Last edited by jdoyle; 10-05-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdoyle
Shouldn't progressive pay me then get their money from the carrier?
Yes..
Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The deductable should only apply when your carrier is fixing your car because you are at fault. The same as if you hit someone else, your insurance would pay to fix their car and also fix your, but you would pay the deductable on your repairs only, not theirs. Your insurance should be dealing with Progressive, not you. Nor should you be dealing with the tow company. Thats why you pay for insurance. Let your company handle the whole thing.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Teching In

^ this is correct. deductable only applies on the insured vehicle not the claimant, you would be the claimant. you wont be able to go to your insurance broker as you already stated that the car is not insured because it has not been running in over 2 years. it will be worth a phone call to your insurance, but they may tell you there is nothing they can do because you dont have insurance on it.

i work as an estimator at a body shop and deal with the insurance companies all the time.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Some commercial policies have a deductible for liability.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

The deductible amount is irrelivant to you. Progressive should pay you the amount and bill the carrier for the deductible. Speak to your insurance company about the situation and get there SOP on it. If you have to speak to Progressive again, Let them know that your Lawyer will be involved. They usually rollover at that point.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by meinthe73
Some commercial policies have a deductible for liability.
This is true. $1,000 seems to be the norm. You will have to set your insurance on the guy.

Quick Reply: Insurance Question (Auto, I was hit)