Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering....old to new set up

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering....old to new set up

I have a 69 Camaro with an lSX swap. I'm almost done and I noticed that the pressure hose coming from the steering box which connects to the power steering resevoir is a different fitting. My old hose has a slip over type fitting and the new resevoir has a female type fitting. Is there an adapter that goes in the resovior and my original hose could slip onto it ?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Lsx6.0
I have a 69 Camaro with an lSX swap. I'm almost done and I noticed that the pressure hose coming from the steering box which connects to the power steering resevoir is a different fitting. My old hose has a slip over type fitting and the new resevoir has a female type fitting. Is there an adapter that goes in the resovior and my original hose could slip onto it ?

Thanks
What kind of pump is it? If it's an F-body with the plastic reservoir, it sounds like the nipple might be broken off.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Its a truck pump. It looks exactly like an old Saginaw pump, but the fitting on the back is different. Instead of being a male end, its a female end. I figure the threads in the truck pump are metric, so could I just get a metric to npt fitting and run my original hose?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Your old hose isn't NPT, it's a female flare with a straight thread. If you could find an adapter, it would work, but probably going to be tough to come by. Sometimes you can swap the fittings on the back of the pump, you'll have to see if they have the same thread inside the pump. Be careful taking the fitting out, there is a check valve, spring, shims, etc in there. Might be better off just making a custom hose, pump end needs to be metric O-ring style. box end is probably 3/8 inverted flare.
HTH, Jim
Old 10-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

I'm going to build one with an fittings. I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Power Steering....old to new set up