Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Swapping CD Player in Stock Head Unit (write-up with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Swapping CD Player in Stock Head Unit (write-up with pics)

Well I tried to get a used HU off of ebay and I succeded but the one they sent me had a beat up face and hardly any of the lights worked. So I decided to swap the functioning cd player from the beat up unit to my much nicer looking unit. The swap ended up costing me nothing since I got a refund because of false advertising. They didn't even make me return it, so I can't complain. The seller is "bandrauto" on ebay - good communication and good on their word at least.

Write-up (very easy swap) (2001 Z28)

Pop the top of the cd player off. I used needle nose pliers to grap the tap and twist it outward a little. Just work your way around.

With the top off it makes it a little easier to slide a flat tip under the tabs on the face plate. Slide under and twist a little. Once I got the first one loose on the top corner I had hold it from slotting back in while I popped the next one out on the side. Once you get the second one its super easy. Once off, just leave the wires connected and just lay it face down.

Now you can remove the 4 little gold bolts holding the cd player in - two on each side. You can't miss them. I forgot what size socket I used but it was pretty small. And for some reason my deep well socket grabbed on to it better. They are very low profile so you have to line it up well or it will slip.

Then just carefully lift the cd player out and detatch the white connector/harness from bottom of it.

Install in reverse order.

Quick Reply: Swapping CD Player in Stock Head Unit (write-up with pics)