Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear End location problem after isntalling BMR adj. torque arm.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End location problem after isntalling BMR adj. torque arm.

Okay, this might be a question for a more experienced person than I.

I'm completely overhauling the suspension on my 99 z28.

I have koni's and strano springs, a Fays-2 watts link, and now a BMR adj. torque arm.

I've got the torque arm on the car finally after a lot of blood sweat and tears, but the rear end cover is now mashing backwards into the propeller of the watts link, where it wasn't before with the stock torque arm.

It seems the BMR torque bar has pushed the rear end backwards in the car. The lower adjuster only changes the angle and doesn't create any magical clearance. The upper rod end isn't easily moved, and I had left it at the location BMR had shipped it with, which seemed to coincide with their pinion angle video online.

So I'm left in an unusable state. I do have a set of adjustable LCA's waiting to go on the car, but frankly I didn't expect the BMR bar to put my car this far out of whack, and this is my first chop at dealing with rear end geometry. I'm afraid to put on the LCA's and adjust them to pull the rear end towards the front of the car and then have a condition where the driveshaft is binding somehow (this is a hypothetical, I don't know if it would).

I would consult a local suspension shop but I don't seem to have any around. Anyone who's very knowledgeable in this subject, please chime in!!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, so far I've brought in the upper rod end on the torque arm by 3/4" and will be installing the LCA's to pair the adjustment and will just try to get the wheels even in the wheelwells while they're sat on the ground, then I'll adjust the pinion angle, then re-attempt the watt's link to get it even left to right. Does this sound reasonable?

I didn't think my car would need to move far off the specs that BMR had set on it. I must've been wrong. I just wish BMR would have included some literature on this possibility, and maybe a bit about the overall geometry setup that's going on.

Best part about doing your own work is that you learn something in the end.

Quick Reply: Rear End location problem after isntalling BMR adj. torque arm.