Anybody driving a CNG personal vehicle in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anybody driving a CNG personal vehicle in Texas?

I have been thinking about buying or converting a truck to CNG for awhile. GM is now selling non fleet 2013 2500s with dual fuel but it is an $11K option. This is not going to be very popular without government incentives which seems to have expired in 2010.

The reason I want to do it is CNG is about half the price of gas or diesel in Texas. In Oklahoma it is much cheaper than that.

So my questions, is anyone on here is doing it? Do you have a home refueling station in your garage and how is that working out? What are the downsides, do you notice a power drop (assuming you are running dual fuel)? Other issues?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good friend took delivery of a 2011 F150 Roush 5.4L LPG conversion. Has about 80K miles on it and had no issues. The motor would be down on power if not for the Roush tune.

One of his salesman now drives it and he ordered a 2013 F250 6.2L LPG conversion. It's due in December.

He owns a welding gas supply business and sells propane. He says after rebates and incentives, fuel will cost him ~$.90/gallon.

According to him, there are more and more LPG fill stations popping up. But CNG seems to be less popular and limited to private or municipal fill stations. He also claims that fuel economy is about 10% less than that of a gasoline motor.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just do it and the fuel will pay for the conversion in no time. the loss is about 15% but its not a big deal again when you look at gas prices. In OK we can get it at the gas company pumps for $.85/gal!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a CNG civic for 5 years as a daily. Loved it an gas was never more than $2.18. I was fortunate to commute between Dallas and Fort Worth inbetween two stations then had a pump put in at one of our properties. I loved it and would never look back. Just sold it last month and looking to buy brand new one at the end of the year. Do it as it will save so much long term in gas.

Quick Reply: Anybody driving a CNG personal vehicle in Texas?