Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Thoughts on the QA1 pro touring kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Thoughts on the QA1 pro touring kit?

comes with springs, shocks (dual adjustable) torque arms, subframe connectors, panhard bar, lower control arms, and both front and rear sway bars.

Im upgrading from stock and i just want to know if anyone has done that package or all the above modifications and if they liked it. and how much does it lower the car.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPin1094
comes with springs, shocks (dual adjustable) torque arms, subframe connectors, panhard bar, lower control arms, and both front and rear sway bars.

Im upgrading from stock and i just want to know if anyone has done that package or all the above modifications and if they liked it. and how much does it lower the car.
Very vague question here...
What car?
What do you want out of the car? (drag? handling? ride quality?)
Got a link to the kit?
What springs and swaybars are provided?
FWIW QA1s are low quality (known for leaking) non-gas charged drag shocks that will leave a LOT to be desired for handling and ride while launching ok.

If you want a "pro touring" type of setup (good handling and ride quality) then you don't want drag shocks like QA1s, Afco, strange, etc.
Heres a kit for 4th gen fbodies that has won multiple national SCCA champions and has excellent (arguably better than stock, mainly due to the fantastic shock valving) street manners:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7
SFC's, LCA's, and torque arm are NOT necessary for a handling setup, and only help marginally (if at all).
Old 10-07-2012, 08:25 PM
FormerVendor

Strano 1.2 inch lowering, as much shock as you can afford, and UMI if you choose to add support equipment.

Like JDAMG mentions, tell us more about your car.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Very vague question here...
What car?
What do you want out of the car? (drag? handling? ride quality?)
Got a link to the kit?
What springs and swaybars are provided?
FWIW QA1s are low quality (known for leaking) non-gas charged drag shocks that will leave a LOT to be desired for handling and ride while launching ok.

If you want a "pro touring" type of setup (good handling and ride quality) then you don't want drag shocks like QA1s, Afco, strange, etc.
Heres a kit for 4th gen fbodies that has won multiple national SCCA champions and has excellent (arguably better than stock, mainly due to the fantastic shock valving) street manners:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7
SFC's, LCA's, and torque arm are NOT necessary for a handling setup, and only help marginally (if at all).
sorry had to leave and i wanted to get the question out there before i left. it is a 2000 z28 camaro with a 6sp and after i do the engine build itll put down 500whp
which is why i belive i need the SFC's, torque arm, LCA's and panhard. I want something that is better than stock and can handle well, but i can also drag it every now and then.
i guess you could say im looking for the middle ground. i do want it to be lowered a bit (1" or so) and i want the shocks to be adjustable.
Im planning on putting duals on it so i may need the ride to be stiffer so they dont drag.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

and heres the link. it doesnt exactly say whats in the kit or how much it costs, i guess cause it has not come out yet idk.
http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/d...ks-struts.html
Old 10-08-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

sorry had to leave and i wanted to get the question out there before i left. it is a 2000 z28 camaro with a 6sp and after i do the engine build itll put down 500whp
which is why i belive i need the SFC's, torque arm, LCA's and panhard. I want something that is better than stock and can handle well, but i can also drag it every now and then.
i guess you could say im looking for the middle ground. i do want it to be lowered a bit (1" or so) and i want the shocks to be adjustable.
Im planning on putting duals on it so i may need the ride to be stiffer so they dont drag.
You will be able to launch ok with handling suspension and have great handling and ride, or with drag suspension you will be able to launch great but handle and ride horrible. Mix and match and you will be able to do neither well, you have to pick.
Again for handling you dont need SFCs, LCAs or torque arm, those will help with launching, and just make sure you DONT buy poly bushings for the control arms(they can bind, hurting handling and ride which is not the end of the world but why bother with it when you can buy bushings that allow full suspension articulation for superior handling and ride for the same cost?).
The setup I posted above is a proven handling setup, you won't find better (at least not for cheaper, or going custom). Just throw on slicks when you want to drag.

and heres the link. it doesnt exactly say whats in the kit or how much it costs, i guess cause it has not come out yet idk.
http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/d...ks-struts.html
Same kit I looked up, no info = no buy.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LS1Tech 10 Year

Well i looked at this UMI kit that UMI Sales pm'd me and that looks very nice http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo..._page=02camaro especially cause it is custom tailored to match my exhaust. i just want to have the adjustable shocks so i can tweak the handling a bit. I guess im looking for handling, but i need to be able to get 450whp+ to the ground effectively. Which makes me think i need the control arms, and the SFC will help stiffen up the frame(or lack there of). still doing research but that UMI kit looks like it will be the answer for me
Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well i looked at this UMI kit that UMI Sales pm'd me and that looks very nice http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo..._page=02camaro especially cause it is custom tailored to match my exhaust. i just want to have the adjustable shocks so i can tweak the handling a bit. I guess im looking for handling, but i need to be able to get 450whp+ to the ground effectively. Which makes me think i need the control arms, and the SFC will help stiffen up the frame(or lack there of). still doing research but that UMI kit looks like it will be the answer for me
UMI is great, I have many of their parts, but that is A LOT of overkill unless you don't mind spending the extra money.
Biggest things for handing:
Tires (ofcourse)
shocks
springs
swaybars
watts-link (optional, but definitely makes a difference)
Thats it, everything else doesn't make nearly a difference as these, and without good shocks/springs/swaybars you are just throwing money away.
UMI doesn't sell springs or handling shocks, that where you go to stranoparts.com. You can buy UMI's solid 35mm/22mm swaybars or Sam's hollow versions for a little more if you want to save weight. Until you have this, don't bother with anything else IMO.
Then you can throw on a full length torque arm (short chassis mounted ones are not great for handling, and can cause brake hop). Roto-joint (not poly) rear LCA's. SFCs (if you want, far from necessary even with 450RWHP).
Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Strano has everything you need, or want to meet your goals!

http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbymodel.php?ModelID=7

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the QA1 pro touring kit?