Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to ls1 tech. Lq9 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to ls1 tech. Lq9 questions.

hey guys i am a new member here. i have been reading through a lot of the threads and stickys and picked up bits and pieces along the way, but still have some quest. Let me start off by saying untill now i was a mustang guy, so i am not super familiar with chevy stuff. i recently purchased a 93 trans am lt1 car with the motor and trans already removed. i read throuh mattsnapp and themerv in the lt1 to lq9 thread and i think that is the direction i want to go. I need a little quidance thought. First what car do i need to get the kmember and steering rack out of? second will my stock lt1 harness (moddified ) work or do i need an ls1 harness and ecu, and will that need to be modified? 3rd how do you do away with the optispark and go to a coil pack set up? i have a lot more quest lol but i will start with those. i am a fairly decent mechanic i just dont understand yet what all is compatible between the lt1 and the diff ls model engines. thanks guys
Old 10-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

come on guys ?!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tbmb108
hey guys i am a new member here. i have been reading through a lot of the threads and stickys and picked up bits and pieces along the way, but still have some quest. Let me start off by saying untill now i was a mustang guy, so i am not super familiar with chevy stuff. i recently purchased a 93 trans am lt1 car with the motor and trans already removed. i read throuh mattsnapp and themerv in the lt1 to lq9 thread and i think that is the direction i want to go. I need a little quidance thought. First what car do i need to get the kmember and steering rack out of? second will my stock lt1 harness (moddified ) work or do i need an ls1 harness and ecu, and will that need to be modified? 3rd how do you do away with the optispark and go to a coil pack set up? i have a lot more quest lol but i will start with those. i am a fairly decent mechanic i just dont understand yet what all is compatible between the lt1 and the diff ls model engines. thanks guys
The k member needs to come from a 98-02 ls1 fbody it would also behoove you to get the suspension with it because the ls1s tester brakes and different springs. You will also need an ls1 style harness and PCM 99-02 is usually better but sice it's going into an lt1 car you may be better off with a 98. I would look into themervs thread and see what he did for the wiring. Also the Ls and lq motors use coil packs not an optispark so they will plug right into the Ls PCM and harness

Quick Reply: New to ls1 tech. Lq9 questions.