General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-10-2016, 03:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

parking brake light

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking brake light

Hi all! Im new here so please forgive me if im not in the right section. I did a search and didn't come up with much. My problem is that my parking brake light on the gauge cluster stays illuminated. I had pulled the engine/trans for a rebuild so I had to drop subframe and disconnect two lines at the abs module. I've reinstalled everything as the way it should be and triple checked everything. All is good. I bled the brakes as I would a any other car. Pump and hold pedal and cracked open bleeder at every caliper furthest to closest until no air. So my question is why would my parking brake light stay lit? I'm not sure if it was lit before the brake bleed. But, when I unplugged the electrical connector at the master cylinder the parking brake light goes out. Do you think the sensor could be bad or did I miss something in the bleed procedure? I did not bleed the abs module because I could not find any bleeders on the module. The abs light does come on as normal when the car is first started and the brakes feel great. Any help for this newb to the forum would EEEEXCELLENT! thank you all! Can't wait to get a tune and burn em up!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Sorry. 2000 T/A WS6
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Most likely cause is the switch attached to the base of the parking brake handle. The light only goes off when that switch contact is closed. So, if the wire is unplugged, or the contacts are dirty, or the switch isn't installed correctly, the light won't do out when the handle is all the way down.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Make sure you don't have fluid leaking from anywhere it will cause a brake light also
Old 10-09-2012, 12:28 PM

The car did sit for a while with the e-brake set. No leaks. But I did unplug the brake fluid level sensor and the BRAKE light goes off. I didn't have this light before the rebuild. Think the fluid sensor could go bad from just sitting? :/
Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 PM

After I bled the brakes the first time I drove the car and hit the brakes hard to activate ABS, then came back and bled the brakes again.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the level sensor is going bad, but is filled to the proper level?
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900

Quick Reply: parking brake light