Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Upgrade

OK so when I bought my 98' TA I had him remove his current setup, which was all boston speakers and a 12" DD sub.

I found the factory harness for the door speakers, but not for the sail... i even went to shoving my arm all the way down in there and couldnt find the bloody harness, where should be my next step to look, it does have the monsoon amp. I can't even find a trace of a wire
Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Start tracing wires from the amp, I guess. Look in the FAQ for a picture of the amp pin-out. The passenger side sail panel should be a very short run to the amp.

Firebird Coupe

E13 - WHITE - left rear subwoofer negative output
E14 - TAN - left rear subwoofer positive output

F2 - TAN - right rear subwoofer negative output
F3 - RED - right rear subwoofer positive output
F4 - LIGHT BLUE w/BLACK - right rear subwoofer speaker negative output
F5 - DARK GREEN - right rear subwoofer speaker positive output

F10 - LIGHT GREEN w/BLACK - left rear subwoofer speaker negative output
F11 - DARK BLUE w/WHITE - left rear subwoofer speaker positive output

Sail Panels
Tan...Left Sub +
White...Left Sub -
Dark Blue with White...Left Sub +
Light Green with Black...Left Sub -

Red...Right Sub +
Tan...Right Sub -
Dark Green...Right Sub +
Light Blue with Black...Right Sub -
Old 10-10-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I loose the wires going into the body :/ like it runs in with the the quarter panel
Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can make your own runs from the speakers to the amp then. You know where to splice into. I know it sounds like a pain, but it's really not that much work. If you can't find the original wires and want to use the Monsoon amp, there isn't really any alternative.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Capricio
You can make your own runs from the speakers to the amp then. You know where to splice into. I know it sounds like a pain, but it's really not that much work. If you can't find the original wires and want to use the Monsoon amp, there isn't really any alternative.
So this begs the question what's the watts Ohms and how would I wire a single VC speaker to a dual channel setup like factory had
Old 10-11-2012, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Most of your answers are in the FAQ. Keep in mind the sail panels are not intended to be full range speakers.

"Firebird coupes have component 6.5S (6.5" oversize) 2-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted separately in the doors, dual voice coil 6.5S (4-ohm + 4-ohm) subs mounted in the sail panels (beside the rear seat), and component 4" 4-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted separately in the hatch area. The two door mids and two hatch mids account for four of the eight channels of the amp while the DVC subs account for two channels each to make up the other four channels. This leaves the front and rear tweeters to be powered directly by the head unit."

To drive a sail panel SVC midbass cone in a Firebird with the Monsoon amp, you just resign yourself to giving up one of the available amp channels.

Quick Reply: Speaker Upgrade