General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

vibration under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question vibration under acceleration

I have been having a bad vibration under acceleration. It feels as if it is coming from the middle of the car or rear. The driveshaft that was on the car when I bought it apparently was too short so I bought a new one that was the correct length and put it in. For a couple of weeks the vibration went away and recently it started back up and it is deffinetly getting worse. Any input or where to start for possible problems would be awesome. Thanks

Car is a 99 trans am with cam, QTP headers, Strange 12bolt, mild headwork
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,121 Likes on 618 Posts

Start by checking your U joints to make sure they are not bad or need greased if they have the zerk fitting. This will eliminate a easily diagnosable part. Normally U joint failure will cause vibrations under acceleration and will stop when coasting or cruising. If you need to replace them and have the original yokes we offer Greasable Moog U-Joints for a 99 Trans Am and if you need a different size let us know we most likely have it.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 01-10-2021, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Summitracing
Start by checking your U joints to make sure they are not bad or need greased if they have the zerk fitting. This will eliminate a easily diagnosable part. Normally U joint failure will cause vibrations under acceleration and will stop when coasting or cruising. If you need to replace them and have the original yokes we offer Greasable Moog U-Joints for a 99 Trans Am and if you need a different size let us know we most likely have it.
My shifter bounces like hell while accelerating too and the transmission mount ain't broken. Ujoints cause that? Thanks
Old 01-25-2021, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This was on an LT1 car (97 SS) but it may still be of value. I chased my tail for a couple of years trying to sort out a mysterious vibration. Replaced the stock steel AAM driveshaft with a 3.5" aluminum. No change. Had wheels balanced etc no change. It ended up being my factory 24 year old harmonic balancer. Some of the rubber had separated slightly which caused the wobble. I replaced my harmonic balancer and smooth as silk (* well as smooth as a 93-02 f body can be!)

Quick Reply: vibration under acceleration