LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

couple of issues need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of issues need advice

My car is having some oil pressure issues. No knocking or smoke. When I started it up cold oil pressure is good I drive around and still good when I brake oil pressure goes to zero then creeps back up. When it heats up however I have extremely low pressure just above the red. I replaced the oil pressure sending unit and same thing. I'm thinking oil pump. What do you guys think?
Its also an automatic

Other issue that just arose tranny wont shift into 3rd and 4th gear when it heats up and drops out of gear. Its also not gone in reverse a couple times but rare. I just got a code for the shift solenoid. I have replaced 2 times in almost 5 years. It seams to go out everytime I burn a plug wire I don't see how they are related but just an observation. Any input on that one?

Thanks guys in advance I'm going to be taking the intake manifold off tomorrow to fix an oil leak and thought I would fix the now bigger other issues as well while I'm working on it
Old 10-13-2012, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are u sure your temp gauge is working for coolant or is it at the right level for coolant if whole car is getting hot, oil thins with heat may be getting hotter than gauge is showing this could cause a shifting issue and pressure drop, oil pressure is directly related to rpm when your stopping no throttle is involved slower rpm + thin oil = low pressure if it was all the time i would think oil pump maybe, when was your last oil change???? As far as the shift solenoid if the wire that cross fires (arcs) is jumping to the solenoid wire yeah or if the ground its jumping to connects directly to it or its wire yeah driver side rear of the motor check that ground first
Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Loss of oil pressure under braking is generally the oilpump pickup having fallen off. Drain the oil than try and look in with a light or tap the bottom of the pan with a rubber mallet if you hear the pickup bounce, BINGO.
Oilpumps themselves really rarely fail they are extremely simple and the best lubed part in the engine so low oil pressure is not because a pump wont make pressure but because nothing is restricting it meaning loose bearings.

The repeated solenoid issues probably took out the clutches as 3-4 failure is most commonly the 3-4 clutchpack. I would want to figure out why it was eating solenoids.

With the oilpan likely to need to come off and the tranny likely needing to come out I would try and diagnose the potential loose oilpump pickup, if that is what you find just yank the engine and tranny together, no sense in doing the intake now just to have to pull the other parts days later.

Quick Reply: couple of issues need advice