Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for modification to do over winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for modification to do over winter

I recent bought a 2000 trans am 6speed. I'm looking for stuff to do to it over winter. As of now the only thing I see done it is the cats are removed slp exhaust was on but also as a muffler. Also has a slp lid. My plans are buying headers, full exhaust and programmer. But trying to find a good set of header at a fair price.

My plans over winter is to put a cam, gears and tires.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sfersch
I recent bought a 2000 trans am 6speed. I'm looking for stuff to do to it over winter. As of now the only thing I see done it is the cats are removed slp exhaust was on but also as a muffler. Also has a slp lid. My plans are buying headers, full exhaust and programmer. But trying to find a good set of header at a fair price.

My plans over winter is to put a cam, gears and tires.
When you buy the cam go ahead and get the kit so you will have the right springs ect. TSP sells a gasket kit for the rest. Stay away from hand held tuners. Your way better off getting a actual dyno tune because when you change rear gears and cams your going to need shift points reset. If you can't do the dyno then your still better off with a mailorder tune. Here is a site with a bunch of mods for you. Yukon make the quietest gearset I've ever seen.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 10-17-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away from handheld tuners, you will need a dyno tune anyway after you do the cam swap. One thing to remember is don't "over cam" the car like allot of people do. I would give once of the sponsors a call and have them hook you up with a decent cam package that includes everything you need to make it run. I personally would do lifters as well depending on mileage. Also a timing chain and an oil pump since they are going to be off anyway, there is no reason not to replace them. Also allot of people upgrade their rockers to the trunnion upgrade to remove the needle bearings. I know I just said spend a ton of money, much of it is optional but I like to make sure everything 100% when I do it. Good luck and welcome to LS1TECH.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:15 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We offer a very affordable set of 1 7/8 stainless steel headers that would work great for this type of setup. We also offer many different cams in cam packages. I agree with these guys when they say to avoid the hand held programmers, they become useless when trying to do a cam or heads.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Teching In

How much are asking for the headers and where can I see them?
Old 10-17-2012, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NC98Z
When you buy the cam go ahead and get the kit so you will have the right springs ect. TSP sells a gasket kit for the rest. Stay away from hand held tuners. Your way better off getting a actual dyno tune because when you change rear gears and cams your going to need shift points reset. If you can't do the dyno then your still better off with a mailorder tune. Here is a site with a bunch of mods for you. Yukon make the quietest gearset I've ever seen.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
He has a M6, he will not need to reset any shift points.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z-camaro
He has a M6, he will not need to reset any shift points.
Your absolutely right. I missed the M6. However he still needs to stay away from the handhelds.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NC98Z
Your absolutely right. I missed the M6. However he still needs to stay away from the handhelds.
Agreed.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

id also budget for an updated clutch to hold that additional power.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get a mail order tune from Frost ,a good tuner on the forum.go to Texas Speed web store look around.get a second job to pay for your new addiction.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Teching In

I decided to by headers I found on eBay. It's dpt motorsports. I was trying to read up on them and people said they work good. Just wondering why they are cheap?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Teching In

pacesetter makes a good cheap header
Old 10-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Teching In

intake and exhaust is a good place to start modding. win/win situation [no compromises]
Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could always jump into learning how to tune.. If u have the patience to read, learn and ask questions just buy EFILive or HPTuners... In the long run, it will pay off for itself and u dont have to wait on anyone to find the time to tweak anything or check codes.

Quick Reply: Looking for modification to do over winter