Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Noob from central Iowa

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Noob from central Iowa

Hello, been looking around the site for quite some time. Finally decided to join. If you could care less about my personal life and just want to raise your post count: skip to last paragraph

A little about me:

Full time college student, studying Mechanical Engineering
Owner of a 2001 Monte Carlo Pace Car and a 2004 F150 SuperCrew (Sorry, neither relate to LS1tech, YET)
Love to work on my Monte, go to car shows
I enjoy anything to do with cars, bikes, trucks, snowmobiles, blah, blah, blah, you get the idea

I'm at the point with my Monte that the supercharger whining, front wheels spinning (tricycle mode activated), stupid raspy exhaust, are no longer enjoyable. I've gotten enough crap about the FWD stuff, and I'm almost to the point with the car, any more mods to my setup, will only allow minimal gains. So, I need something different. I'm hoping a RWD swap will tide me over with this car.

A little about my current set-up:
Stock L36, Stock Auto Transmission, ZZP SS M90 Supercharger Kit (Stage 2), Headers, Intake, SLP PowerFlo, Lowered on SSC Springs, KYB AGX struts and many other visual/stereo/non-performance mods. (<--All of which are lame around here, I know )

I've been creeping around here a lot more lately since I got a truck for a daily driver. My Monte is now a garage queen that I'll be able to work on over holiday breaks and in the summer.

I honestly don't have a great idea of what set-up I want for the RWD swap, that is why I'm here. A budget LS Swap was my initial thought. Starting to lean away from that for a few reasons.

Also, the car won't be a track only car. It will mostly be a cruiser, occasional car show appearances, I'd love to take it to a track occasionally. I'm in no hurry to get this done. I've got four years of school left but I'd like to have this be my project over the next few summers.

For those who will say sell my Monte and get something already RWD:
Sorry, that just isn't going to happen. I love my Monte, The shell/exterior is great. Comfy interior. I know it might not be an attractive car for everyone, and I totally understand, plenty of cars out there I don't like but I don't call the owners out, so no need to do that to me

Here it is: (I have hundreds of more pictures if anyone is interested )

^^^Back when it was 4x4 height, uglyyy

ENOUGH OF THE NOVEL ALREADY, glad to be a member. Look forward to reading crazy amounts of information and slowly making my dream a reality. I'll start off by saying Thank You to anyone who actually read all that and is willing to lend even the slightest bit of information throughout my adventure here
Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 AM

Edit: Just noticed I forgot a very important part of my entire ordeal = my budget.

Sorry folks, I'm not loaded, I'm lucky to work 20 hours a week during school. 40 during the summer. No, I don't get all of my bills paid by my parents. I have outside expenses. My entire summer income will more than likely go directly to this.

That being said. I will be working with a $2,000 budget over each summer. I have about $4,000 in parts currently on the car that I am in the process of selling and parting out so I can get a good start on gathering parts. (Don't tell my girlfriend about any of that)

Do a little math and you'll find that I'll have close to $10k to play with over the next four years. If it takes four years, so be it, that's what I'm planning on anyways.

Biggest thing I'm going to be keeping in mind:
If it's Fast and reliable, it ain't cheap.
If it's Cheap and reliable, it ain't fast.
If it's Fast and cheap, it ain't reliable.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 AM
Teching In

Sweet looking ride! Cant say i`ve seen many monte`s like yours!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Teching In

get 'er done before gas is prohibitive
Old 10-18-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by 00 hawk
Sweet looking ride! Cant say i`ve seen many monte`s like yours!
Thank you.

Originally Posted by sdele
get 'er done before gas is prohibitive
Yeah... I'm hoping it will be around long enough for me to get this done lol. No guarantees though.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Welcome. Come hit up the Omaha scene some time. The Ice cream cruise is a big one.

Quick Reply: Noob from central Iowa