Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

MWC 9 rear, axle seal leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MWC 9 rear, axle seal leak?

The passenger side axle seal on my MWC rear is leaking, the rear is equiped with Moser axles. The bearing and seal have been looked at and replaced by two different shops, and it continues to leak. The rear is not over-filled and the vent tube is clear. The four retaining plate bolts are plenty tight also.
Has anyone else encountered this problem and did you find a solution?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bump.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Coming from around the axle shaft or around OD of bearing? Do you have the ball bearing or the tapered bearing?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its the older style Moser bearing, its not the one that is one piece with the seal incorporated into the bearing. I can get you a better answer in a few, when I contact RPM and check with them, they are the ones who replaced the bearing&seal. It leaks right under the backing plate, near where the emergency brake is located. Thanks Eric for answering up, the leak is small, but it`s a pain in the *** because it messes up the wheel and contaminates the brake pads.

Mike G
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Timken set 20. Make sure you use a bit of rtv sealer around the o.d. of the seal and be sure the housing end is completely clean and dry, as well as lube up the i.d. of the seal before it goes on the axle.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Timken set 20. Make sure you use a bit of rtv sealer around the o.d. of the seal and be sure the housing end is completely clean and dry, as well as lube up the i.d. of the seal before it goes on the axle.
Did that. Still leaks.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Coming from around the axle shaft or around OD of bearing?

Any help here? Gonna have to clean it off and drive it for a few miles and look into it closer than "off the bottom of the backing plate"

No real reason for one side to have issues with new bearings. Axle have excessive runout? Axle nicked where seal lip rides?
Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

When I installed my Moser 9", I installed one seal and then applied sealant around the edge of it, and THEN read instructions that says to put sealant around the base, install the seal, and put more sealant around the outside. Well guess which one leaked?.. I ended up pulling that seal and applying sealant on both sides, and all has been fine since.

Quick Reply: MWC 9 rear, axle seal leak?