General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil pressure guage being wierd (vid inside)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pressure guage being wierd (vid inside)

watch and apply theories please

http://youtu.be/foU6ACeZC0c
Old 10-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

My theory is slight paranoia.

This is perfectly normal. The gauge with the car off shows the last reading when the car was on. When you turn the key one position, the gauge shows you the correct pressure - 0 because the engine isn't on. When you turn the engine on, the pressure comes up.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol. In my 03 GT I spun a rod bearing so I may be a bit paranoid about oil and oil pressure. I just found it strange since it didn't used to do that. It just started recently.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You probably wouldn't notice it if you turn the key quickly from off to run. If you stop and hold on ACCY, like you did in the video, it will do this.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everything in that video seems normal. Not all gauges will return to zero or to the left hand side with power off. As long as the gauges respond when powered on, like your oil gauge snapping to zero, then you can be somewhat certain that the gauge and the sender and the PCM are all working ok. I say somewhat because i bought a used 2006 gmc sierra which falls under the GM gauge cluster stepper motor recall. I replaced all my stepper motors with the updated ones and while the new ones are quieter my oil gauge still responds the way it originally did- which was turn key to run engine off oil guage needle swings slowly up to 20. Start engine and oil guage needle goes left to zero then responds and then reads 40-50 psi. And i verified the gauge having a mechanical one tapped off the block oil galley so i know the gauge is accurate, it's just the way it behaves for whatever reason.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure guage being wierd (vid inside)