LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cutting out, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting out, need help!

I have been trying to diagnose my problem for a while now...

Symptoms:

Runs HORRIBLE on cold startup, idles ~500 rpms and drives like crap for approx 15 minutes, then picks up and seems to idle fine once engine warms up.

Even when warm, if I give more than 1/4 throttle at ALL, idle or driving, it cuts out and acts like it is going to die...If I am at idle and go WOT it cuts out for a second or two before it will rev...

If I stay under 1/4 throttle, car runs fine for normal driving for the most part.

If I am under 3000 rpms while driving and go WOT, it bogs and cuts out...if I am OVER 3000 it accelerates descent, but feels like it is missing some power.

This problem occurred out of nowhere, several weeks after I got the car running. It ran great for a while, then out of nowhere, this...

Troubleshooting:

I have a digital Fuel Pressure Gauge that runs off of the schraeder valve at all times, and Fuel Pressure is constant, never drops...43-44 at idle, 47-48 at WOT.

Opti is brand new Delphi with an MSD Cap/Rotor Kit

Scanned the PCM and the TPS is reading 0.47 volts/0% at idle, ~3.5-3.8 volts/100% at WOT

IAC reads correctly

Both Coolant Temp Sensors read correctly

MAP registers and changes appropriately according to throttle

Timing is at 18* at idle, 35* WOT and they were at this setting when I dynoed it and it made 442/406 with no driveability problems.

O2 sensors are reading but when I go WOT at idle, then let off, O2's read in the 900's for several seconds before dropping back down to normal levels, tells me this is a spark issue, not a fuel issue.

Fuel trims are still split sitting around 110/127.

Also, I have the car running in Speed Density mode through the PCM. If I put it into MAF mode, it will not run without my foot on the gas...even if I unhook the MAF. I have tried changing timing, fuel tables, MAF tables, AFR Tables, you name it...I am lost.

Any thoughts or ideas??? I am at a loss and need this fixed!

Quick Reply: Cutting out, need help!