Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to tell if your rear diff is on its way out

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if your rear diff is on its way out

What are some tell tale signs of a worn rear diff? This is my first car so Im not sure how a rear diff is supposed to act. I have a 97 RS, and i believe its a limited slip with 3.42 gears. When i go around corners I get a lot of drag on one of the wheels. I also notice that (at the top of my head) i think the passenger side rear tire is ALOT more worn than the left. What does this mean? It doesnt whine at all or make any noise.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Video
What are some tell tale signs of a worn rear diff? This is my first car so Im not sure how a rear diff is supposed to act. I have a 97 RS, and i believe its a limited slip with 3.42 gears. When i go around corners I get a lot of drag on one of the wheels. I also notice that (at the top of my head) i think the passenger side rear tire is ALOT more worn than the left. What does this mean? It doesnt whine at all or make any noise.
Try and find a big parking lot, do some figure 8's and listen for clunking or tire chatter. If either then yea it's done.

Or just light them up!! And see you if you got a one wheel peel lol
Old 10-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Teching In

I believe so far its just tires dragging. And last time i peeled out i saw rubber on the road from both tires but no actual visual of the wheels spinning. It certainly feels like both wheels are spinning.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when you say it's your first car, did you buy it used? do you know the car's history?
sounds like the differential might have a spool installed. from your description i don't know what else to tell you without knowing for sure what's what. generally a whine or groan at any speed, vibration, and clunking when turning are the common signs of problems. You say it's quiet and did not mention vibration so that tends to rule out a lot of things.

as for the rear passenger tire wear, could it be it was a front tire that was rotated?
rear tires generally don't wear, except from burnouts. If you have abnormal wear that you can visibly see and that tire has been in that position for a while then i would have the rear axle thrust alignment checked. you might have a bent rim or bent axle and the tire isn't rolling straight causing the wear, but if that were the case i would think you'd have some vibration and handling effects that you'd notice.

Quick Reply: How to tell if your rear diff is on its way out