General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel pressure regulator question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure regulator question

Ok I just got a crack deal on a 2000 Z28, the problem is it sat for about 3 years. It wouldn't start checked fuel pressure....zero
So I bought a new pump(255 lph) drained the tank installed it. The car ran great the first night. Sat over night and the car barly idles and when you give it gas it dies. I figured fuel pressure regulator took a crap. My question is, I pulled the sending unit back out, how can I test the fpr? Can find anything on the net. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best thing to do is to put it back in the car and test it. Should have 58psi at the fuel rail running. I want to warn you these cars are known for rusted fuel lines. When they sit a long time the ethanol fuel can corrode the fuel lines and fuel rail badly. If it were mine 1st thing I would do is pull the fuel filter and check it for rust and blockage. with it off you can look inside the the fuel lines for rust. You can also pull the Pulsator off the fuel rail and take look inside the rail for rust. The rust can migrate to the fuel injectors and block the screens.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

+1 for checking at the fuel rail.

Did you change the fuel filter? I wonder if some rust or other crap got sucked up after your pump install and has clogged the filter?

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure regulator question