Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What is the trick to removing valve springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the trick to removing valve springs?

This is my first valve spring job. I have TFS heads with a broken valvespring so I was repl all of them. I have the Proform compressor tool:

However, whenever I compress, the valve goes down with springs and I cannot get to keepers like in their video. I have tapped valves stems lightly with hammer. Also, I am only using rope in cylinder, not compressed air if that matters. I borrowed a std jaws type compressor tool, but same thing, spring compresses and valve goes with it. Is there a trick I am missing?

Last edited by WADDISME; 10-30-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need air pressure in the cylinder. It works better.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Air works good. Make sure you that you roll the motor up to TDC on each one, in case you lose air pressure so the valve doesn't drop in to the cylinder. Or you can feed a bit of soft rope through the sparkplug hole and roll the motor around to TDC, or close to it. Make sure you leave some hanging out of the spark plug hole so that you can retrieve the rope when done.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top dead center and/or compressed air.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Used compressed air - much better. I couldn't get the valve to release from the springs. Intake came loose with a light tap of hammer and exhaust took a bit more of a shot. But all good, got first one done.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slightly tapping them with a plastic dead blow hammer will usually do the trick on loosening the retainer from the locks.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 11-04-2012, 07:44 PM

Received 392 Likes on 300 Posts

100 psi of air pressure puts 1200 lbs on the piston (pi x r squared) which will move it down to BDC unless you can lock the flywheel. (Perhaps if the piston is precisely at TDC, it will stay there.)

I put a 7/8" socket on a 6" extender, placed it over the retainer and hit it just hard enough with a hammer to see the valve move. It was then loose. However, I suspect Jake's plastic hammer is the safer and correct method.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

I didn't have a compressor so I borrowed one, but I did not see how to adj air pressure. When I first put air into cylinder, car tried to shoot forward. Nobody mentioned that part. Went and put car in neutral.

I just tapped valve stem with hammer and they all came loose. I got driver side done. Passenger side head had to come off for some milling from the broken spring damage, so shop is going to replace those springs.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Launching!

I did the rope thing. It worked well. Feed in a hunk of rope with some left out side of course with the piston down in the cylinder. With a breaker bar on the damper bolt slowly bring up the piston holding the valves in place. You can feel it as it compresses the rope. Tap the valvespring with dead blow plastic hammer to loosen the keepers and you are good. Not high tech but it works.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by WADDISME
I didn't have a compressor so I borrowed one, but I did not see how to adj air pressure. When I first put air into cylinder, car tried to shoot forward. Nobody mentioned that part.
Yeah that is why most will recommend putting the piston either at TDC or BDC. I prefer BDC because there's no chance the engine will spin over. I think the reason for using TDC is if you lose air pressure or the valves unseat for some reason, there's not enough room for them to fall all the way down. They'll just rest on the piston and enough stem will stick out to grab them again.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

I just bought one of these to change valve springs.

Quick Reply: What is the trick to removing valve springs?