Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter retaining pin

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Default shifter retaining pin

Can someone please tell me where i can get the small nailish looking pin that goes above the shifter shaft. Mine broke. My trans is a 95 4l80e Van transmission. There was like this stupid metal plate blocking it so i bent it a little to wedge it out. Just for future reference, is it requirrd to remove the ENTIRE pin or just pull up on it ?
Old 03-04-2015, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure where to get the pin but maybe you can help me how the heck do you get that pin out
Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removal of that pin is required to remove the shift shaft. Mine broke and I had to drill several small holes around it not very deep but larger in size. I rounded off a set of needle nose vice grips to grab what was left of the pin. I used a small propane torch to heat up the aluminum base around it and it came right out. I had to get my converter supplier to send me another one as GM dosent sell them. The valve body needs to be removed to properly get the pin out.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Removal of that pin is required to remove the shift shaft. Mine broke and I had to drill several small holes around it not very deep but larger in size. I rounded off a set of needle nose vice grips to grab what was left of the pin. I used a small propane torch to heat up the aluminum base around it and it came right out. I had to get my converter supplier to send me another one as GM dosent sell them. The valve body needs to be removed to properly get the pin out.
I just had the same issue and I broke the pin clean and off and there's nothing to grab it with. Anyone have any suggestions?

Quick Reply: shifter retaining pin