Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

S60 vs. 9' - (Strength)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 vs. 9' - (Strength)

So, I'm putting in a rear end in this Spring /early Summer at the latest. The car is a M6 car.

I'm doing full rear suspension, true duals and new larger fuel pump all at the same time as well. 12 mths / 18mths after that, I will be doing a blower cam with a FAST 102 Setup and bigger injectors etc. 18mths / 24mths after that I will be putting on a D1SC on the car and heads as well.

Now someday, I don't know when, I will be forging the bottom end of my LS1 so I can turn up the boost on the D1SC.

I would rather go with a 9' because it is lighter but if I can risk breaking it at 700-800rwhp would the S60 be the better route to go?

I don't want to buy a rear end twice.

How strong is the 9' for a M6 car? What are its limits and what are the S60's limits?

I will have 3.42's in the car for the boost factor.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

9 inch or S60 can both handle power into the 1000 range if built right.
9 inch has offset pinion (why it sucks down power to turn) and is supported at the end of the pinion, and the S60 is a huge (9 3/4" pinion) that can handle 40 spline axles with a spool...
Either way you're spending a couple grand to get into that power range; and if you're serious about it I'd call up strange (since they sell both the 9", S60 and the smaller 12bolt) and tell them your end goals and see what the professionals would recommend for a long/healthy life under your car.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No I undestand and I thank you for the response.

I've talked to a few people but I want to see what people's experiece is on here first hand with these rear ends. 12 bolt is out the door.

I just want to know if anyone has broken a 9' or S60 before, and with what type of power?

I'll have 35 spline axles.

Quick Reply: S60 vs. 9' - (Strength)