Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why isn't this done more? (Twin screw/roots blown LS1)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why isn't this done more? (Twin screw/roots blown LS1)

For a long time I thought it was near impossible to fit a twin screw or roots blower under the hood of an f-body...but I have found out that several people have done it.

I think that is cool as ****...why don't more people run twin screws instead of centrifugals? Ease of installation?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats not a twin screw. its a maggie blower which is more similar to a roots blower. Biggest reason is cost, when these were made as a kit by LMspeed and others, it was almost $7k. Considering how fast the mp112 is done as far as power its a hefty price tag for not a ton of power. Much better power production with a procharger or turbo setup for similar price.
Also, i believe the fit and finish on some of the kits left a bit to be desired. Makes for a fun street car though and that whine is just Traction can also be interesting with the torque hit of something like that.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is cheapier to do a Turbo'd or Procharged setup.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd like to see a 4.0l whipple build in a f-body more.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not necessarily cheaper than turbo or def procharger. depends on what you want out of the kit and how far you go to make it work flawlessly. all in all Id say my f1-a kit would run about that same price if not more.

The benefits of the maggie are nice torque down low, nice whine like a cobra, looks neat sitting on top of the motor when polished....easy to ice down before a run.

the drawbacks, its a heat magnet. the intake temps on top of the motor are garbage. tweaks have to be made to get it to fit. its just as expensive, and the over all finish and look of it just dont seem to impress the way youd hope.

prochargers benefits.....not sitting on top of the motor so its pulling cooler air. the scream of it scares the pants of ricers and wannabes. easy to take off and swap pullies. Easy to install. Makes great power, allows for the whoosh sounds people love, can be ordered with a helical gearset for stealth mode unless you go f1 or beyond. around the same price as the maggie, fit and finish are pretty damn nice .

drawbacks to prochargers. the same scream for an extended amount of time can get annoying. without proper allignment, or brackets, the belts can walk off or shred. when left sitting for a while, the seals can dry out. rebuilds are very expensive. on f body's you are not allowed to see what you spent 2-3 grand on since its mounted in the bottom. some of the brackets and intake hats leave alot to be desired. the supplied band clamps suck ***. im not sure about the maggie, but with procharger if you go 8 rib you will need to pin the stock crank unless you have a key machined in.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can fit n e thing bigger than that maggie without major modification. theres a ton of threads about it. its been done but u have ti cut the cowl and i believe you have to lose the windshield wipers as well.

Quick Reply: Why isn't this done more? (Twin screw/roots blown LS1)