Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Keep Stock Monson System/Replace Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep Stock Monson System/Replace Speaker

I have an '02 WS-6 (T-Top) with the factory stock Monsoon system. I'm looking to get some upgraded performance from the stereo system and while I am aware that the head unit is the weakest link - I wanted to keep the factory look and simply go with replacing the speakers.

I'm not looking for head pounding bass or "blow the doors off" volume but as everyone knows the factory system has it's downfalls and I'd like to at least try and improve on the sound in the car the best I can while keeping the stock head unit and amp.

So, a few questions:

- The speaker packages from Kee and Double D aren't cheap. If I only change the speakers and keep everything else the same - will there be a noticeable difference in sound? In other words - is it worth it to ONLY replace the speakers?

- Are the speaker packages from Kee & Double D as simple as plug and play in terms of connections or are there some electrical/wiring mods that need to be done when installing the new speakers?

- Are the speakers offered in these packages a perfect replacement in terms of fit for the stock speaker locations? Do they fit perfectly in the existing mounts? Any drilling needed to mount these speakers???

If there's a sticky or a FAQ with this info that I missed - just point my in the right direction.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't answer you regarding the speaker packages, but I put some nice Rockford Fosgate speakers in the doors and sail panels of my car and there is no doubt that there is a huge improvement over the factory speakers even though the head unit, amp, wiring, CD changer, and hatch speakers are all stock Monsoon. The next mod I do will have to be an HD radio-capable head unit. Now that the speakers are up to the task, I can hear a noticeable deficit in FM quality versus CD. But that's the beauty of upgrading in stages: gives you time to save up funds and you can focus it towards the weakest link in your setup.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2011
I have an '02 WS-6 (T-Top) with the factory stock Monsoon system. I'm looking to get some upgraded performance from the stereo system and while I am aware that the head unit is the weakest link - I wanted to keep the factory look and simply go with replacing the speakers.

I'm not looking for head pounding bass or "blow the doors off" volume but as everyone knows the factory system has it's downfalls and I'd like to at least try and improve on the sound in the car the best I can while keeping the stock head unit and amp.

So, a few questions:

- The speaker packages from Kee and Double D aren't cheap. If I only change the speakers and keep everything else the same - will there be a noticeable difference in sound? In other words - is it worth it to ONLY replace the speakers? Yes, there is a big difference. Yes, IMO it is worth it.

- Are the speaker packages from Kee & Double D as simple as plug and play in terms of connections or are there some electrical/wiring mods that need to be done when installing the new speakers? I took the pigtails off my factory speakers to make mine "plug and play".

- Are the speakers offered in these packages a perfect replacement in terms of fit for the stock speaker locations? Do they fit perfectly in the existing mounts? Any drilling needed to mount these speakers??? The sail panel speakers do not fit "perfect". I did not have to drill holes, but the speaker holes do not match up perfect. All others matched well.

If there's a sticky or a FAQ with this info that I missed - just point my in the right direction.

Thanks!!!
Answers are in red, hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Keep Stock Monson System/Replace Speaker