Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

first break-in drive after 9 inch install, whining and a strange smell after i parked

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default first break-in drive after 9 inch install, whining and a strange smell after i parked

Just finished the install last night and ran the car in 4th on jackstands at idle for 10 minutes, then let it cool for a half hour, did that twice...

Drove it for the first time this morning and it feels great, very solid (had a bunch of noises, creeps and bangs from the old 10 bolt). It does have a distinct whine to it though... does not sound like chattering teeth, or grinding in any way, more like an electric motor that gets higher in pitch the faster I go. silent on coast or downshifting, but louder than I like under a load or cruising. Also, the drive was about 10 miles, no hard accelerating and a constant throttle as much as i could to be as easy as possible..... but when i pulled into the garage and parked it, I could "smell" the rear end, smelled like hot metal, not burnt gear oil but just heat from around the rear. The housing wasn't hot to the touch, maybe warm if anything. Is this normal and should I start driving it or should i pull the rear out and check it out a bit??

Quick Reply: first break-in drive after 9 inch install, whining and a strange smell after i parked