General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Embarrassingly Loud Headlights (Not the gears!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Embarrassingly Loud Headlights (Not the gears!)

Just bought my first LS1 last week ('99 Trans Am). So far I'm loving it except the headlights...
Not the gears I don't think, they go up and down fine. But when they close they sound like they just drop! I would describe it as "clangy". It's loud as heck and embarrassing! Is there like a rubber stop or something I need to replace? Or is this just part of it...?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Your thinking is correct.

The cars came with plastic bumpers that deteriorate over time and fall off. Attached to the door and the motor is a hinged arm. The end of that arm sweeps around in a circle and hits a tab of metal to stop the door from opening up more than it should. If your stock stoppers aren't there, here is a thread that will help you put a replacement on:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...r-bumpers.html

You may also check to make sure the metal tab isn't bent. In that case, the arm may not even be contacting it all, which could let the door overextend. (I imagine that would also create a racket.)
Old 11-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sweet! Thanks for the help. I'll try and take a look at the stuff you mentioned this weekend. It's no fun pulling up in my sick TA at night and then putting down the headlights and instead of people saying "dude, sweet car!" they say "dude, what's wrong with your headlights!?".

Last edited by big_g; 11-06-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Embarrassingly Loud Headlights (Not the gears!)