Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cheap Homemade Linseed oil Rustproofing solution from the oldtimers

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lightbulb Cheap Homemade Linseed oil Rustproofing solution from the oldtimers

hi guys living in the North East I see my fair share of snow salt and slush. I also own a second car i have specifically as a winter beater to keep my WS6 out of that rust solution! And On the winter beater (94 Saturn) the body is clean as brand new thanks to plastic body panels but one look under the car and its easy to see the horrors a few NY winters will do to any metal surface.

After a search on here and it seems to go to solution that is highly recommended is paintable POR15, while highly effective I've also seen worries about it looking like you are covering up the crunchy decay to a potential buyer and therefore decreasing its value. So I asked around in my family and neighborhood, and there were two other popular solutions. What I found is the first recommendation is going to a automotive body/ accessory shop and paying about $200 for an oil based rust inhibitor that is recommended because of its fluid properties so it constantly is shifting and covering more.
However my uncle has a neat home remedy (under $20) he has used on his early 90's GMC step side that is driven in the winter and still has factory paint without rust! his solution is cheap and quite interesting, I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this technique?

"Underbody Rustproofing Recipe"
1/3 boiled linseed oil
1/3 new motor oil
1/3 paint thinner (to ease application)
Mix well and evenly apply with air pressure spray gun.

I am about to head over to his garage and get it done to my car *00 WS6 as it spent most of its life in Florida and has a CLEAN under body (even the lines are rustfree) And I intend on keeping it that way! This solution has worked for him and it will be easily removable for resale with a engine cleaner or heavy degreaser.
p.s. I do drive in the rain, I will never try the snow. I'm in the market for a light rustproofing that will keep it clean during winter storage in my unheated carport garage.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

I have never done the recipe that you posted, but I have for a long time went with an oil can and oiled pinch welds around fender openings, inside doors to get at the bottom crimped steels, truck gates etc. Truck beds you take the tail lights out and can get to a lot that way, otherwise top bed frame rail slots work.

POR15 is absolute crap, huge waste of $$. This year I still plan on spraying the entire underside of my plow truck with oil to keep any rust at a minimum. When I swap to winter rims, I always put vasceline in the caliper bleaders and all the brake line connections so they can be easily removed in the future.

Only thing that would worry me is the paint thinner that you have listed. I have a very small amount of rust between multiple layers of steel under my car and mine never seen snow or salt, gets stored in a nice garage for 7 months a year, but does sit outside during the summer. I just sanded as much rust away last week and put heavy primer on it for now. Just keeping it down till I have time to sand blast those spots, use acid, metal prep, etcher, primer, paint.

I advise anyone who runs their car year round to oil it up
Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

yea i questioned him too when i heard paint thinner. but he fired right back with a good reply. "what did you use to remove unwanted stickers?" and i had to say i used paint thinner. he said its just a loosening agent so that it sprays out of his gun and the thinner will evaporate away after.
id appreciate any solid opinions on the thinner especially from body shop guys/ painters
Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoneniX
id appreciate any solid opinions on the thinner especially from body shop guys/ painters
https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work-128/

might get more/better responses there

Quick Reply: Cheap Homemade Linseed oil Rustproofing solution from the oldtimers