Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member Question? Stock ls1 Motor Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New member Question? Stock ls1 Motor Rebuild

When you say "rebuild" your engine, are you planning on taking the engine out and having the cylinders resleeved or honed, or are you planning on keeping the stock bottom end and just working on the top end.

If properly maintained, the LS1 can last well over 136,000 troublefree miles, but like I said, the key here is how it was treated for those 136k miles.

If the engine is still running strong and has had no problems, and youre not planning on forced induction or big shots of nitrous, you can probably get away with leaving the bottom end alone.

For the top end, if you're gonna do a complete heads and cam swap, heres what you'll need:

1. Ported heads with new springs and possibly retainers depending on which springs
2. Pushrods
3. Lifters
4. Timing chain
5. Oil pump (optional, but the 98-99 oil pumps are known for going out, and 136k miles on one is a lot of miles)
6. Cam (duuh)
7. All gaskets (head, water pump, exhaust, timing chain, etc).
8. Head bolts (always needed when pulling heads)
9. LS6 intake (optional - on a H/C car, can give gains as much as 25RWHP)
9b. If you go with the LS6 intake, you'll need 01-02 coolant pipes and two coolant plugs, most places sell these optionally with a new LS6 intake)
9c. Unless you get an LS6 with the optional EGR provision, you will also need EGR blockoff plates for your headers.
10. Underdrive pulley (optional - gives around 8-10 RWHP, and since the pulley needs to come off anyway, might as well put a better one back on)
10b. If you do the ASP pulley, you'll need shorter serpentine and A/C belts.
11. Headers (optional, but when doing a H/C swap, you're choking your exhaust and can see as much as a 25RWHP increase with longtube headers)
12. Tuning. After doing all this work, theres no way your car will run close to 13:1 A/F so you'll want to get some tuning to get the most out of all these mods.

Thats about it...hope this helps. And if theres one piece of advice I can give you is do it right the first time. Don't skimp out on a certain part because you MIGHT get away without it. Remember, buy cheap, buy twice.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member Question? Stock ls1 Motor Rebuild

I have a 98 trans am with that runs 13.2s with 136,000 miles on it. It is a daily driver but soon I hope to park it. I was woundering what kind of advice some of yall could give me on rebuilding the engine that is in it now and a guess on about how much it may cost. I know I am wanting to install a stage 2 head and cam package, as well as forged pistons, and an ls6 intake manifold. I will check this thread again tonight thanks.

1998 Silver Trans Am
current mods: 3.73 gears, lid, programer, maf sensor, American Sports Design Ram air hood w/functional ram air, and some free mods

best e.t. - 13.28 @106

<small>[ March 06, 2003, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: silver98ta ]</small>