Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating after H/C install!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy Overheating after H/C install!

I got the install done. Started the car..

Oil Pressure (check)

A bit noisy, but that quieted down after about 2-3 mins. I had the radiator cap off, but even once the car heated up to operating temp. The fluid never started to flow.

It just sat there. I wasn't paying attention to the temp, but the car started to stutter. I ran around to give it some gas, and the check guages light was on, and the temp guage was rising pretty quick.

I hope I didn't ruin my water pump. When I broke everything down to do the install. Outside in a covered area with lift. I left the water pump just sitting on the work bench? Is there a chance that the thermostat was ruined or rusted or something?

I need help...
Thanks
Old 04-12-2004, 12:34 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let it cool down, then refill the radiator again. Usually it takes a while for the thermostat to first open after having all the coolant drained out. Sometimes it helps to pull the front coolant pipe crossover bolts loose and pull the pipe up to bleed the air out. If it keeps trying to get hot, I've also had decent results holding the RPM's up to about 2000 while monitoring coolant temp. Usually it will get a hair past 210ish and come right back down when the thermostat opens, thats also a signal to refill the cooling system again.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Let it cool down, then refill the radiator again. Usually it takes a while for the thermostat to first open after having all the coolant drained out. Sometimes it helps to pull the front coolant pipe crossover bolts loose and pull the pipe up to bleed the air out. If it keeps trying to get hot, I've also had decent results holding the RPM's up to about 2000 while monitoring coolant temp. Usually it will get a hair past 210ish and come right back down when the thermostat opens, thats also a signal to refill the cooling system again.
Thanks..
I'll give that a try tomorrow afternoon..

I really hope thats all it is.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$20 says it's an air pocket in the radiator. Happens a lot.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:28 AM
TECH Addict

On a side note. For the few minutes that the car ran before it got hot. I can tell ya one thing. I'm never gonna close my cutouts. This thing sounds awesome.

I can't stop watching the video that I got of the initial startup....

Go TR230
Old 04-12-2004, 03:47 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the help guys. I disconnected the line out of the Throttle Body.. and whatdya know.. I filled it until a few drops came out of the hose. I actually heard the radiator burp ...

It is now alive and well. I'll have a vid posted tomorrow.

Once again.. Thanks for the help.