Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 s10 cheap 4.3 to ls swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 s10 cheap 4.3 to ls swap?

I am wondering how much work and $$ it would take to swap an LS for my v6. It has a solid 4l603 and posi rear. I know I would need an adapter plate for the trans. I am not looking to do any performance mods. I just do not want to put another p.o.s. 4.3 in when this one dies. I would like to increase my mpg from the 17 I am currently getting and have the reliability of an LS. I have seen other swaps on here but I want to go bare bones. I could do without ac and not cut the frame. stock manifolds, etc. thanks.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

It really wont take a whole lot. you can mod a factory harness for the stand alone operation would be cheapest and easiest. or you can also make it plug and play. The engine will easily be the most expensive part of the swap.

If you need help with the wiring just shoot me a pm.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks Green96ta. It may never happen but it is good to know the possibility for the future. I want to keep it on the road untill i can put the whole drive train in a Vega.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 65impalass
I am wondering how much work and $$ it would take to swap an LS for my v6. It has a solid 4l603 and posi rear. I know I would need an adapter plate for the trans. I am not looking to do any performance mods. I just do not want to put another p.o.s. 4.3 in when this one dies. I would like to increase my mpg from the 17 I am currently getting and have the reliability of an LS. I have seen other swaps on here but I want to go bare bones. I could do without ac and not cut the frame. stock manifolds, etc. thanks.
Honestly the vortec 5.7 swap is actually the easiest and cheapest. You can reuse all your factory accessories. The real plus is you can almost use your 4.3 harness as is. You would need to modify it slightly for the additional 2 injectors of the 5.7, but otherwise the SFI 4.3 and 5.7 are almost identical (may have missed a connection or two). Motor mounts are super easy, SBC swaps have been done in those trucks time and time again. Headers, you have about 1000 choices, heck the factory truck manifolds might even match up with the 4.3 manifold outputs if you get your mounts in the right spots. You could even reuse the 4.3 tranny if you wanted to (not recommended without at least a rebuild). But this motor does have alot of limitations being is uses a similar fuel spider that the 4.3 does thus your HP potential is very limited without going to some sorta different intake setup. But by far I would say it's the easiest to get up and running very reliably. Wouldn't be that awful quick, I'd say low 14's high 13's bone stock.

Last edited by kossuth; 11-12-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 96 s10 cheap 4.3 to ls swap?