Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls? s10

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls? s10

I inherited a 2001 S10 from my grandfather, we always talked about making something out of it and i finally started doing it. Problem is i dont know nearly enough about these ls series than i probably should. ill just start by putting down what i already have, what i want out of it, and hopefully get some answers.

Summit Racing Iron LS Engine Block
Patriot Performance Heads
Hooker Block Hugger Headers
LSXR Intake
Milodon Oil Pan
T56 6spd
ls1 engine mounts for s10
Comp Cams 102mm throttle body
Lunati LS1 Cam
Duration: 286,298
stock corvette alternator
meziere electric water pump
painless complete wiring harness

well thats what ive been buying all year. im looking to get all the internal stuff by the end of the year. im just a 21 year old guy with no life. and i dont know much about numbers when it comes to internals, i can put a motor together just fine. im an optimist and im hoping for atleast 600hp out of this motor. im kind of leaning towards a stroker, but is there a stock ls series cranks that has more lift? and best pistons and rods to use? i was told the lq4 pistons would be the best to use, but id say id have to bore it. feel free to be hurtful, ive kept all my receipts, if you think of something better i can exchange it. but im really looking for internal answers. thanks!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

I'm not so sure about the larger engines (I have a 5.3), but that cam seems way too big.

For 600hp, perhaps you should consider a stock engine to get your swap going, then add a turbo for the big HP. Don't forget that a stock S10 rear and suspension will not take that much HP.

FYI: Lift is usually a cam spec. I know you mean stroke.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:21 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iron LS block is an LQ4 or LQ9 - only difference is LQ4's run dish for a lower static compression, LQ9's run flat tops. I've had more luck finding LQ9's in Escalades. Cranks in these motors are good to 1000HP alone - you do not need an aftermarket crank. Many also keep the stock rods and use Kaetch or ARP bolts. I would recommend Weisco/Diamond/Icon forged pistons.

Two site sponsors i recommend you call are Tick Performance and Texas Speed/TSP. Between the two they will get you squared away on a cam/transmission and internals respectfully. If you're planning on going full auto give Jake's Performance transmissions a call.

Also check out V8s10.org - they are a good group of guys and very knowledgeable. They will help you out on the other build aspects that you will need.

There is also a V8 S10 book that you should definitely get. It will save you alot of headache and give you a heads up as to what you're diving into.

You also do not need a painless wiring harness if the truck has a working existing harness. It would be more beneficial and a bit cheaper to modify what is already in the truck. Strip out the current engine management wiring, keep the vehicle's harness, and adapt an ECM harness which can be used with aftermarket software licenses to tune independently. There are writeups and how-to's as well as tons of information if you search the forum.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 AM

I agree with the rear, my plan is either a nine inch or ten bolt. And I had no idea the block was an lq series. I'm new to chevy performance really, I've only ever owned a mustang and a power stroke. Thanks for squaring all that away, ill get ahold of both places and try and get a decent cam then. I don't want to start tearing into it till I have most of the stuff and the painless was a precaution, and was 30 bucks at a swap meet so I'm not complaining
Old 11-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go ahead and do a 9 inch. There is more aftermarket support for rear disc brakes and replacement axles/ring gear options. You will have the same investment trying to get a ford 8.8 to work as well - it will be worth it in the end to do it once and not do it again.

Quick Reply: ls? s10